none
Problem in Start/Finish date before and after adding %complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a problem in one of my MSP files:

I determined tasks, duration, predecessors, successors and resources; then I set baseline and started to enter %complete for each task. The problem is, after I delete a percentage of a task, the start and finish date of that task changes, and it occurs for all of my tasks in that file.

In Gantt chart I can see that tasks are moved to the new date automatically and there are lots of splits without any change in duration or work.

Anytime I add a Percentage and delete it, the gap between baseline date and new date increases.

It is really strange, and hard to explain clearly. I upload a screen shot and I hope it helps. (I have to hide some info because this plan is related to a governmental project.)

Thanks in advanve

Vida

• Edited by Vida GhT Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:25 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:16 AM

Answers

• Vida,

Although what John Hansleyton states is very true, you may be seeing another issue related to a glitch in one of the Cumulative Updates. See the following thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/project-2010-tasks-complete-bug/b9a522cc-5bc4-4b26-b1bd-4651ebe87671?auth=1

John

• Marked as answer by Vida GhT Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:12 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Sarah and other who may be following this thread,

I did hear back from Microsoft. The fix for this issue is in the May Cumulative Update for Project 2010. I just tried a Windows Update but it did not pick up this fix. You may however get the fix from:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115001

John

• Marked as answer by Vida GhT Saturday, May 7, 2016 5:42 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 7:48 PM

All replies

• Hi Vida

If you have a %complete on a task and remove it later then this action can result in changed dates on the task.

The %complete part of the task is nailed to the position where it was when you entered the %complete. When you remove the %complete the task is "released" and can move again due to predecessors. In the mean time you can see effects corresponding to "split" task.

So how to get back:

The resulting tasks in your schedule are longer than they should be due to the splits. You can fix this by grapping the task (left mouse button down) and move it backwards. You should see the ... disappearing and the schedule retracting.

Best Regards | Power2Plan.com | https://www.power2plan.com

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Vida,

Although what John Hansleyton states is very true, you may be seeing another issue related to a glitch in one of the Cumulative Updates. See the following thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-project/project-2010-tasks-complete-bug/b9a522cc-5bc4-4b26-b1bd-4651ebe87671?auth=1

John

• Marked as answer by Vida GhT Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:12 AM
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Thanks John Hansleyton

This problem isn't related to being released or something like this. It's kind of a strange one that I've never seen in any other plan. I tried many plans and removed %complete of all tasks, nothing happened.

I also tried moving backward but didn't work.

Regards

• Edited by Vida GhT Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:22 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:47 AM
  • An easy way to get rid of the splits is to just set duration to 0 and the re-type in whatever was the duration.

This is a lot safer than trying to grab the ends of the bars with the mouse.

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:52 AM
  • Thanks so much John.

Now I can understand the reason of my problem. I put that plan on server and this strange behavior is the result of project server service pack installation. I think there is no way to fix it unless reinstalling project server.

That was a really helpful thread.

I really appreciate your attention.

Regards

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:23 AM
  • Hi Trevor

I fix it by duration 0 and also removing the resource and put it back, but I want to know the reason of my problem.

Thanks for your answer.

Regards

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 5:26 AM
  • Vida,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 2:18 PM
  • In the last couple of weeks we started to see this same behavior in many of our files after installing the latest project 2010 client update released in March. Instead of providing a fix, it seems to have caused this problem throughout our system.   We are also seeing this problem on tasks that do not have resources assigned to them so the assignment delay trick for fixing the issue doesn't always work.  When you revert a task back to 0% where it was earlier in-process it adds in an assignment delay on resource loaded tasks or it looks like its adding a leading split on tasks that aren't resource loaded.  If you re-enter 0% again, the assignment delays change again, with the task getting longer each time.

Also as part of trying to remove the splits, I have now seen tasks with 0d duration, 0% complete, with a start and finish dates that are 3 weeks apart and project marked the task as a milestone.  It seems that the start date stays the same, but the finish date moves out.

What's even more frustrating is that not all tasks in the same files exhibit this behavior, and I can't figure out the difference between the tasks (same basic time frames (S/F and Baseline S/F), same calendars, same resource names, same successors).  Future tasks and new tasks don't seem to have the same problem.

Can anyone explain why changing the % complete would cause a calculation in the assignment delay field or why changing it to 0% would cause a leading split to be created on the task?

Currently using Project Pro 2010 (14.0.7167.5000) with Project Server 2010 

Spit in-process tasks is unchecked, resource leveling is set to manual, the resources are all generic, tasks are all auto-scheduled

Thanks,

Sarah

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 5:04 AM
  • Sarah,

Sorry you still have the problem. I confirmed that the latest Cumulative Update (March 2016) has not fixed the original bug with percent complete, so I have sent a note to a contact at Microsoft to get a status update on the fix. I'll report back, if and when I hear something.

John

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 4:45 PM
  • Sarah and other who may be following this thread,

I did hear back from Microsoft. The fix for this issue is in the May Cumulative Update for Project 2010. I just tried a Windows Update but it did not pick up this fix. You may however get the fix from:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115001

John

• Marked as answer by Vida GhT Saturday, May 7, 2016 5:42 AM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Hi Sarah

This is exactly my problem with project pro 2010 and server 2010.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Vida

Saturday, May 7, 2016 5:41 AM
  • Thanks John.
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 5:42 AM
  • Vida,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Saturday, May 7, 2016 2:18 PM