none
Screen goes black and graphic card fans are going full speed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My spec Intel i7 - 6800k Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Windows 10 x64

This setup worked for 3 years no issue. Recently I had some Microsoft updates and Nvidia driver as I keep it up to date all the time. What happens is that after some time screen goes black and graphic card vent is going full speed. Only thing to recover is to power down by holding power button for 3 sec. I have searched web and many people pointed to reinstalling drivers with blocking Microsoft driver update install. So what I did is I used DDU in safe mode to remove Nvidia drivers and then booted without internet connected and installed newest driver (451.48-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql). This didn't help, Wierd thing is this might happen 2 minutes after starting Windows or few hours after.

Finally cought this in event viewer, there are 2 Critical there:
    DriverFrameworks-UserMod
    Event ID 10110
    A problem has occurred with one or more user-mode drivers and the hosting process has been terminated. This may temporarily interrupt your ability to access the devices.

Event ID 10111
    The device HID-compliant headset (location (unknown)) is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 4 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

Any help appreciated.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:52 PM

Answers

• Hi

Based on my research, this seem to be hardware problem in your GPU which caused overheat and led to your fans running, there were similar posts about black screen with GPU fans running with full speed, and was eventually solved by renewing Thermal Paste on their GPU. I would have a look on the graphic card considering hardware performance might get degraded after 3 years of using.

For more detail you could refer to this link below:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898055-black-screen-gpu-fans-at-full-speed-crash-fixed/

Event ID 10110 indicates a driver problem, please make sure to update all your drivers.

To rule out drivers issue you could perform a clean reboot, and then check if the problem remains.

Also there is a chance that your computer is infected and being used to mine bitcoins, you could try these methods to check.

https://www.carbonblack.com/blog/how-to-investigate-a-bitcoin-mining-malware-infection/

Please note: Information posted in the given link is hosted by a third party. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy and effectiveness of information.

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 8:49 AM

All replies

• What happens if you boot in to the Safe mode? Do you experience the same?

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, July 9, 2020 12:35 AM
  • Install a blank drive and re-install windows fresh.  See if the problem returns.

Create a live USB boot install of Windows using Rufus.  See if the problem returns

Fans running full speed and a blank screen indicate a heat issue or a hardware problem or your PC is infected and being used to mine bitcoins

Thursday, July 9, 2020 12:43 AM
  • Hi

Based on my research, this seem to be hardware problem in your GPU which caused overheat and led to your fans running, there were similar posts about black screen with GPU fans running with full speed, and was eventually solved by renewing Thermal Paste on their GPU. I would have a look on the graphic card considering hardware performance might get degraded after 3 years of using.

For more detail you could refer to this link below:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898055-black-screen-gpu-fans-at-full-speed-crash-fixed/

Event ID 10110 indicates a driver problem, please make sure to update all your drivers.

To rule out drivers issue you could perform a clean reboot, and then check if the problem remains.

Also there is a chance that your computer is infected and being used to mine bitcoins, you could try these methods to check.

https://www.carbonblack.com/blog/how-to-investigate-a-bitcoin-mining-malware-infection/

Please note: Information posted in the given link is hosted by a third party. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy and effectiveness of information.

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, July 9, 2020 8:49 AM
  • Did you do a Hard Drive Test and a Memory Test?
    It may help for us all to see your specs and some Diagnostics via Speccy.
    How to run Speccy and post the Link so that it can be looked at by members, it is safe to run.
    1. Please Download Speccy – Installer n Install it with the instructions you see there. 
    2. If the file isn't sitting at the bottom of your screen, find the spsetup132.exe file and click on it to install it.  It would most likely be in your Downloads folder.
    3. Publish your Snapshot Link 
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 10:14 AM
  • Bruh thanks as this actually made me resolve my issue.

[RESOLVED] I checked https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/898055-black-screen-gpu-fans-at-full-speed-crash-fixed
    I decided to check my card. When I was removing everything I noticed that power cable to GPU that has 8 pins has 6 solid and two added on the side and those 2 were not fully in (not sure how this happened as PC worked fine for 3 years and I was gaming as well) I tried to push it in but it was never "clicked" in. So I used second GPU cable and there all 8 pins "clicked" and are fully in. Since then no crashes/black screens.

Friday, July 10, 2020 8:32 PM