none
Determine if site is loading based on setting from Enterprise Mode XML file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're using Enterprise Mode to have some sites load correctly now that we've finally updated to IE11.  But we're having an issue testing sites trying to figure out if the page is loading correctly based on XML file.  I know if I chose IE7 or 8 Enterprise mode the icon on the address bar will change to two buildings (that's what it looks like to me).  But if I select IE5-11 document mode, the icon does not change.  How do I tell if browser is downloading the XML file and loading the page to the mode set on XML if I choose document mode option, regardless of which version?  Also where does Windows cache the XML file locally?

Thank you,

John

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:33 PM

Answers

• if it doesn't show you some blue text (next to the red dot, as per my screengrab) - that's where the "reason" shows, if there was some "reason" through an "external" rule, e.g. compatibility view or X-UA-compatible tag in the page itself, etc..

then you are likely to be landing in that emulation due to the content of the page itself.

You will land in IE5 Quirks, if the html of the page itself, doesn't contain "modern" markup code. (eg no DOCYTPE has been declared)

Hit F12 and select the "DOM Explorer" tab, this will show you the markup code of the page.
    Ideally, if modern markup is being used, you will see the first line look like this: <!DOCTYPE html>

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en-US">
    <head>
    	<meta charset="UTF-8">
    	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">

IF you don't see exactly that, some deeper diving will be needed, because it gets murky from here on.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, February 26, 2016 11:17 PM
  • Friday, February 26, 2016 11:51 PM

All replies

• if you press F12 (open the Dev tools), it should show you why it's rendering in the mode, on the Emulation tab.

the file is cached within the IECache but it's not very visible (the cache is deliberately obscured)

Thursday, February 25, 2016 8:48 PM
  • I hit F12 and went to emulation.  It's showing mode as 5 (Default) but we set it to 9 Document mode.
    Friday, February 26, 2016 5:04 PM
  • if it doesn't show you some blue text (next to the red dot, as per my screengrab) - that's where the "reason" shows, if there was some "reason" through an "external" rule, e.g. compatibility view or X-UA-compatible tag in the page itself, etc..

then you are likely to be landing in that emulation due to the content of the page itself.

You will land in IE5 Quirks, if the html of the page itself, doesn't contain "modern" markup code. (eg no DOCYTPE has been declared)

Hit F12 and select the "DOM Explorer" tab, this will show you the markup code of the page.
    Ideally, if modern markup is being used, you will see the first line look like this: <!DOCTYPE html>

<!DOCTYPE html>
    <html lang="en-US">
    <head>
    	<meta charset="UTF-8">
    	<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width">

IF you don't see exactly that, some deeper diving will be needed, because it gets murky from here on.

Friday, February 26, 2016 11:17 PM
  • Friday, February 26, 2016 11:51 PM