Please help with Win 7 crashes RRS feed

• Question

• I recently put this computer together.

Intel i7-3930k                                                                      Everthing ran great for two and a half weeks, then I started getting persistent crashes.

EVGA gtx570                                                                        I've received the following messages in the event log:

MSI X79A - GD65(8D)                                                           Event ID: 56 Driver PCI invalid for a child device (What?!!)

Ripjaws DDR 1600 (16Gb)                                                     Event ID: 10 WBEM MC cannot activate filter

WD Caviar Black 1TB                                                             Event ID: 6000 Event subscriber unavailable

Corsair Force SSD 120GB                                                       Event ID: 41 (Kernel Power) System has rebooted w/o cleanly shutting down.

CoolerMaster 850W.                                                               Event ID: 7001 Event service start failed II

Windows 7 Home (OEM)                                                         Event ID: 7023 Event service exit failed

Microsoft Security Essentials                                                   Event ID: 4107 Windows CAPI2 - Failed extract of 3rd part root list from autoupdate cab.

Spybot S&D                                                                           Event ID: 3012 Registry Baseindex Corrupt (new, just showed up today)

Does anyone know what's going on. If I get a retail version of Win 7 will that solve the problem? Or should I take it to CompUSA or someplace like that to have a look at it first?  I did system snapshot from right after Win 7 installation. I uninstalled the add - on Mobo drivers (reinstalled when that didn't solve the problem).  Performane evaluator only see's the child device problem (what is that?). The computer goes black and then restarts by itself w/in 5 - 15 mins. Gives me the option to start in safe mode or not. It has occasionally gone black in safe mode. I ran disk cleanup and it hasn't crashed in the last half hour so that's a plus. Please if anyone has any thought they would be appreciated.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you did system snapshot from right after windows 7 installation, please remove the old drivers from Device Manager, then install the drivers from manufacture's site manually.

If you have the installation disk, perform in-place upgrade to check the result.

In-place upgrade

-------------------------

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:06 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:07 AM

All replies

• Can you see if anything is being generated in c:\windows\minidump? If
    there are files there, can you upload them to skydrive,

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 10:08 PM
  • There is no file for c:\windows\minidump. I posted screen shots here:

"https://skydrive.live.com/embed?cid=D763B6EC4A17A79D&resid=D763B6EC4A17A79D%21103&authkey=ACgZQxU0ipTx72s"></iframe>

any info would be helpful. Thanks Mike.

Mishaman88
    Monday, December 12, 2011 1:18 AM
  • It looks like there might be a WMI related corruption, can you do two
    things from a command prompt,

chkdsk /r /f

This will prompt you to complete the scan on next reboot. After the
    reboot/scan, then please run

sfc /scannow
     From there, let's recheck the newest errors and troubleshoot from there.

-- Mike Burr
    Technology
    Monday, December 12, 2011 11:09 PM
  • Hey Mike. Did check disk and scannow. "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." This right after a crash in which the event log reports two WMI events "b/c of error 0x80041003", then subsequently two LOADPERF errors within  ~10 min time span.

Until ~9:45pm EST I did not have a crash since ~2:30am last night.

1.  I suspected my ram. I had the same manufacturer but two different types of ripjaws. One 9-9-9-20, the other 7-8-7-24. First build. Didn't realize the importance of the timing. I took out the two sticks of 7-8-7-24. Down to 8Gb.

2.  Anyway did that and used revo uninstaller to totally wipe all junk files. Spent all last night wiping the hard drives. The computer didn't crash once during that or during installing Civ IV.

3.  Diagnostics didn't recognize an anti - virus, even though I had Microsoft Essentials.  I installed Norton from the disk that came with the Mobo.

4.  Thought I might have had it licked until this most recent crash.

Thanks for any ideas you can think of.

Mishaman88
    • Edited by Mishaman88 Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:14 AM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 3:12 AM
  • Hi,

Since you did system snapshot from right after windows 7 installation, please remove the old drivers from Device Manager, then install the drivers from manufacture's site manually.

If you have the installation disk, perform in-place upgrade to check the result.

In-place upgrade

-------------------------

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Niki

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, December 21, 2011 10:06 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:07 AM