none
SharePoint - OpenSearch - Searching SP from an external site

Question

• We are trying to search into a SharePoint site collection from an external site (Salesforce to be specific). So the user will be in Salesforce which supports Federated Search and can connect to search providers that support OpenSearch. I see that SharePoint 2013 supports OpenSearch. But all the documentation I see online are about how SharePoint can connect to other sites that support OpenSearch to display the results in SharePoint, but not the other way around.

Could you please point me to some documentation/info about configuring a SharePoint site collection or web application in order to get the OpenSearch descriptor which can be used in Salesforce to trigger the search and get the results?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

Arav.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 11:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Arav,

This forum is for Search issue in SharePoint 2013. As you are trying to search SharePoint content in Salesforce, I suggest you contact the Salesforce support for help.

Anyway, SharePoint provides search REST API, you can try to use SharePoint search REST API in Salesforce.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/general-development/sharepoint-search-rest-api-overview

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 6:11 AM
  • Wendy,

Thanks for your response. I will find the appropriate place to get help.

But just to clarify, our use case is searching from Salesforce, but that external site can be anything. I am just trying to find out how to configure SharePoint 2013 Search to support that search action from an external site. Salesforce documentation/forums provide only the info needed for doing the setup on the Salesforce side.

I found the SP Search REST API, but we require the OpenSearch Description URL to do the setup. There has to be some way to configure our SharePoint 2013 site collection to enable OpenSearch and get the URL, but there isn't enough documentation about how to do that. All I am finding is how to configure SharePoint to search external sites which is not our use case.

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Hi Arav,

In SharePoint 2013, it has a Federated Search feature which combines search results from multiple search engines and allows you to consume search indexes created by search engines outside of SharePoint. Federated Search basically uses the index created by an another search engine. 

To search SharePoint content in other external sites, you need to make sure you could access the SharePoint site in the domain that you use the external site with proper permissions. I search online and internally, there is no documentation which lists the information about searching SharePoint content in an external site. If the external site could support Federated Search, there should be no others settings to change. You can setup it based on the requirement of the external site's Federated Search.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by Dean_WangModerator Monday, December 18, 2017 2:17 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Arav Vijay Friday, December 22, 2017 9:26 PM
    Friday, December 15, 2017 5:58 AM
  • Thanks for your response. I will explore further and will post an answer if I find a way to do this.
    Friday, December 22, 2017 9:27 PM
  • Hi Aarav ,

Did u get any solution for your use Case ?

Tuesday, June 05, 2018 7:37 AM