office 365 winmail.dat - Feb 2018 - problem back - when will MS fix this! RRS feed

• Question

• Just found out that my email to a friend arrived as winmail.dat - friend has Apple hardware.  This problem is getting old and I'm not interested in MS asking me to do Power Shell work, revise settings for each user, or for specific domains.  Fix the bloody problem - you own all the piece parts that cause this problem.
    Friday, February 16, 2018 1:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

May I know which email client do you use and which email client does your friend use on the Apple device (Outlook or the native mail client)?

How many users are affected by this issue? Does it happen with all emails have file attached or just certain emails?

Can you see the correct message if we view it by logging into the webmail interface of the email account? This could help identify whether the issue is with the sender side or with the recipient side.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 16, 2018 6:34 AM
  • Hello,

Any update here?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Microsoft knows the problem.  They are trying to get us to stop using Outlook I guess.  It happens on every email attachment I send through Outlook to ANYONE with a MAC, or on a Apple iPhone or iPad.  It is getting worse - especially with the last update.  It used to be just a few people. Now it's everyone everytime.  I've done all the fixes. NOTHING works.  It's obviously a strategic choice by Microsoft.  My only option is to stop using Outlook.
    • Edited by Effy108 Sunday, March 4, 2018 5:29 PM
    Sunday, March 4, 2018 5:29 PM
  • Have you tried deleting the affected recipients from the autocomplete list and re-entering their addresses? That should fix this problem. You can clear the nature autocomplete list instead,but really just need to clear the affected recipients.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, March 5, 2018 9:20 AM
    Sunday, March 4, 2018 5:48 PM
  • Hi,

Can Microsoft have a tool or script to fix the problem, my problem is more or less the same, except my own created email have no WINMAIL.DAT but forward someone's will have this (no RTF though).

Tried all kind of HTML only and even have the registry key created, but can't stop Outlook (365 subscription, patched to latest) from creating this.

Regards,

Johnson Lam.

Friday, April 6, 2018 2:50 AM
  • Are you sending the winmail.dat when you forward a message or is someone forwarding you mail that has a winmail.dat file?

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Friday, April 6, 2018 3:11 AM
  • This worked for me. Thanks!
    Friday, July 13, 2018 5:12 AM