From App-V 4.2 to SCCM R2 App-V 4.5 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi everybody.

At the moment we are running App-V 4.2 management server and use the App-V virtualization for most applications.

We also have Configuration Manager Sp1 in our environment (for those apps that cannot be sequenced as well as many other functions) which will soon be updated to the R2 version which also makes the App-V integration possible. Since we need the enhancements of App-V 4.5 (with DSC and more) we will update App-V to 4.5 and use the Configuration Manager to manage the distribution and managing of virtualized applications. This means that we will both upgrade from App-V 4.2 Management server to version 4.5 as well as change the infrastructure to use the Configuration Manager and DPs to distribute and stream applications.

Does anybody have experience in doing this kind of upgrade? What i am specifically interested in is the following:

When we turn on so that the Configuration Manager will manage the virtual applications it will effectivly remove all virtual applications on the clients that are _not_ managed by configuration manager. The old App-V 4.2 management server cannot coexist with SCCMR2. This means that all applications needs to be converted so that the manifest .xml is availible, imported to SCCMR2, advertised etc prior to the "migration". We must also test all applications in another SCCM site prior to migration since we cannot enable this function until we know that 100% is working. How have other solved this? Do we really have to migrate all applications at once, migrate all users with all applications at one time? Even though we test everything on a diffent environment it seems like a very big step to just stop the entire working App-V environment and enable another (which its tested but not on this particular SCCM site).

Any ideas and experiences?

Another question since i have not tested this yet. We will use the download and execute method when distributing applications. When a user start the application for the first time, how quick does it load into App-V client cache now that it already is availlible on SCCM client cache? I wonder because i would guess that all users will have to load all applications again after our upgrade.

Thanks - any input would be of great value!

Regards,

Ezequiel Osorio

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 3:58 PM

Answers

•  

You pointed it out right, once you have a ConfigMgr client installed with the App-V client, and you check the boxes to enable virtual on you DP's and avertprogram agent settings, ConfigMgr will take over the launcher role for virtual apps. So any prior apps in the cache will be dumped.

You will need to run your apps through to generate that XML that Configmgr will want. I'd look at using the command line sftsequencer tool to speed that up.

I've have a mixed environment running and for my laptop, I wanted to continue recieving via my VAS so I re-installed my app-v client after ConfigMgr was enabled for virtual. I still recieve updates from ConfigMgr, but I recieve streamed apps from my VAS. So far so good. I haven't tested pushing a virtual app to my laptop yet to see what happens as I'm worried the launcher role will switch back to the vlauncher for CCM. I'll give it a shot tonight and post back those results. Worse that could happen is reload my client and login.  

• Marked as answer by E.O Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:31 PM
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:56 PM

All replies

•  

You pointed it out right, once you have a ConfigMgr client installed with the App-V client, and you check the boxes to enable virtual on you DP's and avertprogram agent settings, ConfigMgr will take over the launcher role for virtual apps. So any prior apps in the cache will be dumped.

You will need to run your apps through to generate that XML that Configmgr will want. I'd look at using the command line sftsequencer tool to speed that up.

I've have a mixed environment running and for my laptop, I wanted to continue recieving via my VAS so I re-installed my app-v client after ConfigMgr was enabled for virtual. I still recieve updates from ConfigMgr, but I recieve streamed apps from my VAS. So far so good. I haven't tested pushing a virtual app to my laptop yet to see what happens as I'm worried the launcher role will switch back to the vlauncher for CCM. I'll give it a shot tonight and post back those results. Worse that could happen is reload my client and login.  

• Marked as answer by E.O Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:31 PM
    Saturday, November 15, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Hi, and thanks for your reply. I am grateful for all informatin in the subject.

I will update this post when i move forward. For the moment i am in the stage on running the apps through the 4.5 sequencer to generate the XML, just like you said. We also am creating a testenvironment that will have the APP-V with SCCMr2 integration.

Regards,
    E.O

Monday, November 17, 2008 11:58 AM