none
Installing XP, 8 GB RAM, 750 Gb HD? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to install XP on a PC with 8 GB RAM? Do I need to use NTSF? FAT 32 doesnt seem to support more than 2 GB RAM?

Thanks for any information,

Emil

Thursday, August 15, 2013 4:37 PM

Answers

• Untested, this should be possible.  You are talking about the 32 bits edition of XP, and I think (= might be wrong) that all 32 bits Windows editions are limited to 4 GB RAM, i.e., you could use the other 4 GB only as a RAM disk.  I vaguely recall that AMD offers a free RAM disk driver for this purpose, ask a search engine.  NTFS supports lots of features not found on FAT (incl. FAT32), e.g., hard and soft links, junctions, advanced access rights, compression, sparse files, alternate data streams, etc.  

FAT barely manages long file names with a horrible hack allegedly patented by Microsoft, and Microsoft's format tools won't let you format really big volumes as FAT32.  The theoretical limit is 2 TB = 1024*2 GB, but that requires huge cluster sizes and far too many sectors for the file allocation tables, it's a bad idea.  The real killer is the file size limit, FAT directory entries can only handle less than 4 GB per file.  Any decent video, virtual hard disk, or backup file could need more than 4 GB.  In other words, pick NTFS.  Of course FAT is still fine for (relatively small) SD-cards.  

Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:00 PM
  • Is it possible to install XP on a PC with 8 GB RAM? Do I need to use NTSF? FAT 32 doesnt seem to support more than 2 GB RAM?

Thanks for any information,

Emil

Windows Xp is most 32 bit. 32 bit can only see 3.27GB. Therefore, the rest of 5.73GB is wasted. If you have a 64bit Windows, than yes you can use all of the RAM.

If RAM is in 2x4GB sticks, take one out.

Fat32 has a limit of 4GB minus 1 or 2 GB. NTFS has a limit of 256 TBs minus 64 KBs.

You will need to use NTFS for the hard drive.

Friday, August 16, 2013 11:36 AM

All replies

• Untested, this should be possible.  You are talking about the 32 bits edition of XP, and I think (= might be wrong) that all 32 bits Windows editions are limited to 4 GB RAM, i.e., you could use the other 4 GB only as a RAM disk.  I vaguely recall that AMD offers a free RAM disk driver for this purpose, ask a search engine.  NTFS supports lots of features not found on FAT (incl. FAT32), e.g., hard and soft links, junctions, advanced access rights, compression, sparse files, alternate data streams, etc.  

FAT barely manages long file names with a horrible hack allegedly patented by Microsoft, and Microsoft's format tools won't let you format really big volumes as FAT32.  The theoretical limit is 2 TB = 1024*2 GB, but that requires huge cluster sizes and far too many sectors for the file allocation tables, it's a bad idea.  The real killer is the file size limit, FAT directory entries can only handle less than 4 GB per file.  Any decent video, virtual hard disk, or backup file could need more than 4 GB.  In other words, pick NTFS.  Of course FAT is still fine for (relatively small) SD-cards.  

Thursday, August 15, 2013 5:00 PM
  • As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:37 AM