none
installing SQL server on SBS 2011 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I've read several posts that are similar to mine but not exact so I'll post here:

I have SBS 2011 Standard Edition and have purchased a full copy of SQL Server 2008. Can I install this full version on SBS 2011 Standard?

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:31 PM

Answers

• Yes, you can, but I probably would not.  It is not a good idea to install SQL on the DC, and SBS is pretty busy already.

If your vendor still offers the SBS 2011 Premium Add On, the preferred method, and much less expensive in total, is to purchase the Premium Add On kit and install Server, install HperV role, then install both SBS and the same Server as VM's under Hyper V.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:10 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 11:42 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can, but I probably would not.  It is not a good idea to install SQL on the DC, and SBS is pretty busy already.

If your vendor still offers the SBS 2011 Premium Add On, the preferred method, and much less expensive in total, is to purchase the Premium Add On kit and install Server, install HperV role, then install both SBS and the same Server as VM's under Hyper V.

Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP]

• Marked as answer by Don Powell Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:10 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 11:42 PM
  • Hi Don

Even it's not recommended it's working without any problems. SBS 2011 already installs SQL Server instances (2005 and 2008 IIRC).
    You just install a new instance.

I run my SBS2011 as development server and am running an additional SQL2005 and SQL2008 Instance on it and never had problems whith it.

Anyway, if your SBS2011 has heavy load I'd not recommend it but you can give it a try and move it to another box later when you experiene performance impacts that you can't solve with hardware (Memory, dedicated disks, faster or more processors).

Henry

"Don Powell" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:2e2d4a68-3105-4a9d-81e9-fc04b0d1e55d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I've read several posts that are similar to mine but not exact so I'll
    post here:

I have SBS 2011 Standard Edition and have purchased a full copy of SQL
    Server 2008. Can I install this full version on SBS 2011 Standard?

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 2:01 AM