Linking Filters on Dashboards RRS feed

• Question

• One of the things that we've wanted for a while is to be able to link filters.  First filter is Item Category, second filter is the items in the category you selected.  Everything I've read and Everyone I've spoken to says this can not be done, yet.   But after reading your post below, I had an idea.  I wanted to throw this out to the crowd to see if anyone has tried this before I spend a sizable effort trying to make it work. 

I've never tried building a page directly using PPS web parts, but this got me thinking.  if we build a page from scratch using PPS web parts, could we then build our own filter parameters, link them together, and then use that as the filters? 

When you build the page directly, are you still restricted to using the same filters from Performance Point that do not allow filters to be passed in, or can you build your own?

If anyone has worked with these, please comment.

Thanks,

John Workman

In a post titled "Dashboard Page after deployment" you wrote:

Code Snippet

If you are modifying the Sharepoint page manually after deploying the dashboard from PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer then every time you redeploy the dashboard this will overwrite the version that had the part added manually.

One option you might consider is to build the web page using the PPS web parts rather than using a push from the designer.

Thanks,

Alyson

Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:27 AM

Answers

• You could try constructing your own filter using the PPS SDK.  You would have to go through the SDK and build a new PPS filter type to do this, we will not work with filter types created outside of PPS.

Thanks,

Alyson

• Marked as answer by AseemN Monday, December 15, 2008 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you be a bit more specific like which filter webparts you were reffering to etc.

I have tried like this,

We can only link one filter to each Hierarchy but I think for now temporarily we can work it around by using display conditions for filters.

Suppose I have two regions say North America and Europe. Now create a member selection filter by selecting these two regions. Now create two more filters for each of the region respectively by selecting the countries under them. Now we totally have three filters.

In dashboard designer, place the region filter you created in one zone and next two filters in a single zone and set the zone settings as stacked. Now drag the display condition of region filter on remaining both filters and set the display condition so that if you select Europe as region then the filter having European countries will be displayed. After this, drag the member unique name of all three filters on to the scorecard.

Hope this helps...

Best Regards,

Azhar

Monday, September 15, 2008 6:47 AM
  • I don't see this working. All this works up to the point where you add the second region filter,with countries under them. You can only select one unique member per filter for the same data source. Am I mistaken?

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:19 PM
  • You could try constructing your own filter using the PPS SDK.  You would have to go through the SDK and build a new PPS filter type to do this, we will not work with filter types created outside of PPS.

Thanks,

Alyson

• Marked as answer by AseemN Monday, December 15, 2008 6:03 PM
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:06 PM