Custom Error Page.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

In MOSS the errors are quite vague and user find it annoying while surfing a website. Is there any way that we create a "custom error page" which should be popped up whenever an error occured on user end in MOSS.

regards

Friday, July 4, 2008 7:15 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Most error pages are stored as “.asxp” files under the path of %program files%\common files\ Microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\template\layout\. You can relate your error page address browsed in the “address bar of IE” to the files locate at the directory I mentioned above.

Moreover, MOSS does not provide out-of-box way to customize the error message. These messages are stored in FPEXT.MSG in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin\1033. This is a system file, you cannot change
    it. For different language, the error message is stored in different location.

Hope it can help you.

Regards,

Jerry

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Most error pages are stored as “.asxp” files under the path of %program files%\common files\ Microsoft shared\web server extensions\12\template\layout\. You can relate your error page address browsed in the “address bar of IE” to the files locate at the directory I mentioned above.

Moreover, MOSS does not provide out-of-box way to customize the error message. These messages are stored in FPEXT.MSG in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin\1033. This is a system file, you cannot change
    it. For different language, the error message is stored in different location.

Hope it can help you.

Regards,

Jerry

Monday, July 7, 2008 2:57 AM
  • try the following links, some custom error page sort of things are done there,

http://blogs.msdn.com/jingmeili/archive/2007/04/08/how-to-create-your-own-custom-404-error-page-and-handle-redirect-in-sharepoint-2007-moss.aspx

mohammedfauzi.blogspot.com/2008/03/your-own-custom-error-page-for-moss.html

blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/meronf/archive/2007/04/10/MOSS-Custom-Error-Page.aspx

Monday, July 7, 2008 6:24 AM
  • DavUK,

I too came across such scenario. what i did was, i modified the error page in the _layouts folder. Now i am getting my customized error page through out my webapplication.

• Proposed as answer by satheeshkumarr Thursday, July 24, 2008 1:21 PM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Sateesh,

I have the similar scenario.

I have gone through the error messages files under _layouts folder.

My questions are :

1. Did you modifie the existing error files or created new files.
    2. Did you create .aspx pages.
    3. To display approriate error message, how did you handle the error events.
    4. Which web.config file you modified

If you can give me a little specific info, it would be great help.

Thanks,

Ray

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:06 PM