RC1 does not install to NV SATA RAID drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have an MSI K8N Diamond Plus mobo running 4xRAID0 on an NVRAID SATA controlled (Built in to mobo).

I am using Vista 32 bit because application compatibility is still quite poor on 64 bit Vista.

Here is my problem step by step:

1. Boot from Vista RC1 CD
    2. Accept default settings
    3. Click 'Install Now'
    4. Type serial
    5. Click 'Next'>>'Next'>>'Custom'
    6. Message displayed at bottom of drive selection box (Which is otherwise empty):
      No drives were found, click 'Load Driver' to pro0vide a mass storage driver for installation.
    7. Insert floppy with appropriate Vista NVRAID Drivers
    8. Click 'Load Driver'>>'Ok'
    9. I install all 3 displayed drivers:
      NVIDIA nForce(tm) RAID Class Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
      NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
      NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)

Still no drives are detected and you can loop between steps 4 to 9 as many times as you like with no change.

I know the drivers are correct because they work when installing to a seperate partition from within XP ... is there a way to install these drivers successfully when booting from CD?

Monday, September 11, 2006 2:24 PM

Answers

• There is no need to go back to XP. There is still currently no choice but to use XP in order to get the RAID configuration working.

The steps to get Vista running on nVidia nForce4 SATA RAID setups follow:
    1. Download the latest nforce4 drivers (XP version) from:
      http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html
    2. Unzip 6.86_nforce_win2kxp_international_whql.exe using Winrar or similar
    3. Go to 6.86_nforce_win2kxp_international_whql\IDE\WinXP\sataraid within the extracted files
    4. This folder should contain the following files:
      1. disk1
      2. idecoi.dll
      3. nvatabus.sys
      4. nvraid.cat
      5. nvraid.inf
      6. nvraid.sys
      7. nvraidco.dll
      8. txtsetup.oem
    5. Copy these files to the root of a blank floppy disk
    6. Insert the Vista CD (You should still be in XP)
    7. Start the Vista installation
    8. Accept default settings
    9. Click 'Install Now'
    10. Type serial
    11. Click 'Next'>>'Next'>>'Custom'
    12. Insert floppy with appropriate Vista NVRAID Drivers
    13. Click 'Load Driver'>>'Ok'
    14. Repeat step 13 until you have installed all all 4 drivers:
      1. NVIDIA nForce(tm) RAID Class Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
      2. NVIDIA nForce(tm) RAID Class Device (A:\nvraid.inf)
      3. NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
      4. NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
    Now the install should continue without any problems.

NOTE: NVIDIA have released a beta driver that should work with Vista but it does NOT work on motherboards that contain both SATA and PATA connectors.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:19 AM

All replies

• I had the very same issue.  The only way I've seen thus far to install Vista x86 or x64 onto an nVidia SATA RAID configuration is to run the install from within windows and select "clean installation" to a new partition.  Even though the drives are visible at that point, you MUST still load the drivers otherwise setup will forget the drivers after the first reboot.

Also, a word of advice.  I have an nVidia nForce4 dual SLI configuration.  Dual SLI caused the BSOD (Black Sreen of Death) after the "Please wait while windows starts for the first time" screen.  At this point, I have reverted back XP Pro SP2.

Good luck

Monday, September 11, 2006 6:33 PM
  •  TX20D wrote:

I had the very same issue.  The only way I've seen thus far to install Vista x86 or x64 onto an nVidia SATA RAID configuration is to run the install from within windows and select "clean installation" to a new partition.  Even though the drives are visible at that point, you MUST still load the drivers otherwise setup will forget the drivers after the first reboot.

Also, a word of advice.  I have an nVidia nForce4 dual SLI configuration.  Dual SLI caused the BSOD (Black Sreen of Death) after the "Please wait while windows starts for the first time" screen.  At this point, I have reverted back XP Pro SP2.

Good luck

beleive me i too have tried time and time again to get this beta to work!!! sad thing is it will install on an old compaq i have (like 2 years old), but on my best rig it's having none of it, athlon fx-57 /  2x 74gb raptors in raid 0 / 2x 7800gtx in sli / nforce4 mobo & 2gb ram.

so it's back to good ole xp for a good few months at least :-/
    Friday, September 15, 2006 1:07 AM
  • There is no need to go back to XP. There is still currently no choice but to use XP in order to get the RAID configuration working.

The steps to get Vista running on nVidia nForce4 SATA RAID setups follow:
    1. Download the latest nforce4 drivers (XP version) from:
      http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_win2k_6.86.html
    2. Unzip 6.86_nforce_win2kxp_international_whql.exe using Winrar or similar
    3. Go to 6.86_nforce_win2kxp_international_whql\IDE\WinXP\sataraid within the extracted files
    4. This folder should contain the following files:
      1. disk1
      2. idecoi.dll
      3. nvatabus.sys
      4. nvraid.cat
      5. nvraid.inf
      6. nvraid.sys
      7. nvraidco.dll
      8. txtsetup.oem
    5. Copy these files to the root of a blank floppy disk
    6. Insert the Vista CD (You should still be in XP)
    7. Start the Vista installation
    8. Accept default settings
    9. Click 'Install Now'
    10. Type serial
    11. Click 'Next'>>'Next'>>'Custom'
    12. Insert floppy with appropriate Vista NVRAID Drivers
    13. Click 'Load Driver'>>'Ok'
    14. Repeat step 13 until you have installed all all 4 drivers:
      1. NVIDIA nForce(tm) RAID Class Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
      2. NVIDIA nForce(tm) RAID Class Device (A:\nvraid.inf)
      3. NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
      4. NVIDIA nForce4 Serial ATA RAID Controller (A:\nvraid.inf)
    Now the install should continue without any problems.

NOTE: NVIDIA have released a beta driver that should work with Vista but it does NOT work on motherboards that contain both SATA and PATA connectors.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 11:19 AM
  • I have the same problem. I've been following your steps without any success of installing Vista RC1 on my machine. After the first reboot it gets to the Vista loading screen (with the green dots), then it just loading endless. I have nForce5 chipet though. Maybe you can't install Vista on it?

My computer:

AMD64 4200+ Dual Core AM2
    MSI K9N Platinum (Nvidia nForce 570 chipset)
    Samsung 80gb SATA2 8mb 7200rpm
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZG
    XFX Geforce 7900 GT 128MB DDR2

Sunday, September 17, 2006 12:53 AM
  • I followed the procedure you have outlined, but Vista RC1 refused to load any of the Nvidia drivers. After I presented it with the driver files on a CD it gave me the list of NVIDIA Raid Class Controller, etc etc but no matter which selection from the list I chose, after a brief progress bar, Windows said "installation failed."  It thus REFUSED to load the driver.

I tried this with the latest WHQL Nforce4 XP drivers (same drivers I use in XP) and also with the Nvidia "beta Vista" drivers.  Same response.  From what I've read, some people have success with the WHQL drivers, but most do not.  I don't know what the factor is that allows some to succeed.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium w/ 2 GB ram, Athlon 64x2-4800, single Nvidia 7800GTX, 4x WD 250 GB SATA RAID 0+1   XP runs great, Vista Beta2 ran great, cannot get Vista RC1 to install.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:50 AM
  • HI,

I have a gigabye MOBO and am configured with 2 SATA drives but not in raid. My downloaded 64 bit version of VISTA refuses to run under XP, so I have to boot from DVD. It then requires drivers for SATA (which are only visible on the USB after I clicked the little flag to only show compatible drivers. I get 4 entries for the latest SATA drivers from Gigabyte and also from nVidia. But it doesn't work. It still doesn't recognize the drives (XP is fine with them).

What I don't understand is this: why would Microsoft even bother releaseing Vista without direct out of the box SATA support? Is it very difficult to identify drivers for SATA?

My dream of a dual boot machine is definitly gone bye bye. Please post here if a reliable solution has been found :)

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Chris

Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:39 PM
  • Of course, I am unable to get the RAID to install, but I was able to get the drives recognized on my DFI Expert.

I just deselected the box to hide incompatible versions and then selected each of the NVRaid SATA drivers. I had to do this because Vista was not showing any drivers.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2006 1:42 PM
  • i fannied around with this for ages. eventually something possessed me to change a jumper on my sata drive and the drivers loaded first time. try it...
    Monday, January 8, 2007 9:18 AM
  • Just an update - You can download the nForce drivers from nVidia's website and then save the IDE/vista64/sataraid files onto a flash drive/usb/cd.  Then at the "custom" screen of vista 64 installation, browse to the location you saved those files to.  They should show up even if the "hide incompatible" button is checked.  Load them and you should be good to go.  I did this booting from the dvd, no need to boot from inside windows.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 1:47 AM
  • I've had the same problem when installing Vista Ultimate x64 on my NF4 (DFI NF4 Ultra-D) with a SATA RAID 0 configuration (nvraid). I also use a 80GB PATA drive mainly for the pagefile.

When I get to the point in the Vista installation where I need to "load drivers" in order for Vista Setup to recognize my SATA RAID0 drive, it will not load the drivers from the floppy correctly.

Solution: Physically disconnect your PATA Harddrive (unplugging the IDE cable works) before installing Vista on an NF4 nvraid configuration - this will make Vista recognize your SATA RAID drive.

Don't know if the problem is the same if you're on a different motherboard with 2 SATA Raid controllers (like the DFI Experts and Venus etc.) using the SIL SATA Controller instead of the controller integrated in the NF4 chipset.

Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:27 PM