Computer Shuts itself off during gameplay. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

So I recently bought new components to upgrade my PC.  Asus Mobo - M4A78T-E, AMD Phenom II x4 3.2ghz, Corsair 1333Mhz 4GB, 600W Thermalware, ATI radeon XFX HD 5770.  Using my old hard drive from the last comp, a 120GB WD.  Did a complete HD reformat, installed Windows 7 32-bit, downloaded all drivers installed mobo drivers yadda yadda.  Downloaded steam, installed L4D2, CoDMW2, and WoW.  Started up L4D2 to check new graphics.  Loaded up the game fine, started playing then 20 seconds into it the screen goes BLACK, the light on the monitor goes to the power saving color and upon the screen it says POWER SAVING MODE.  Sound STOPS, computer is completely unresponsive.  Have to do a hard restart via power button.  The USB light to my wireless adapter shuts off, my keyboard lights still stay on,  the CPU fan can be heard running still during this state, but no matter what I push or tap or click on the keyboard nothing happens.  Tried swapping out the memory, still does EXACT same thing.  Swapped out graphics card, exact same thing.  I'm leaning towards a hard drive problem.  And oh it does the exact same thing on ALL of the games I mentioned above ^ - starts out FINE, loads up the game fine, loads into a game fine, then 20 secs into when I start playing, it does the described problem.  Im running the Asus EPU control, not really an O.C. it just lets you control when you want the CPU at full power.  I've sifted through the internet forums  looking for a problem similar but none are.  I have no BSOD or anything like that.  Super confused as I have been trying things for the past 2 weeks and still EXACT same problem...Please help me! About ready to take it into a computer shop....

The strangest part about it is that I have run http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ Furmark the VGA tester.  A donut of an ungodly amount of hair particles that stresses your computer to the max.  It runs FINE.  Ran it for 10 minutes on the highest settings available and it has NO problem.  Heat peaked and stayed at a constant 83 degrees about 4 mins in.  Seriously annoying and I have no idea.  Only does this blank screen problem when I run video games, and it seems to be high end video games that do it.  And that is the reason I crafted this PC...to play games...Help please!

Thanks so much to anyone that helps me.  This is driving me mad. 

Saturday, November 20, 2010 11:01 PM

Answers

• Was a PSU problem.  Replaced and not a problem since :)
    • Marked as answer by Akandytheman Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:01 PM

All replies

• I suggest you to run your rig setting at default, don't use any utility or bios setting to crank it or run bench mark test. Just leave everything at default, same goes to the ram timing, either run it at default or follow the ram manufacturer recommended ram timing. Imo the frequent shutdown could be due to the rig which can't withstand the stress test or crank
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 1:54 AM
    Answerer
  • I put everything back to default.  Still the same problem.  
    Monday, November 22, 2010 7:01 AM
  • have you checked Event viewer for a clue? Look in critical and error categories in the Administrative Summary. Expand and read.

The motherboard does appear to be completely supported for Windows 7 by Asus. Have you applied the most recent BIOS, chipset and drivers?

You can download the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics (DOS) cd version from Western Digital, create the bootable cd, boot to it and test the drive. The quick test will suffice.

Monday, November 22, 2010 1:09 PM
  • If you have another power supply I would suggest swapping that out. Also asus has a hardware monitoring utility, I use a different program but I seem to remember that it provides a graph that you can monitor temps and voltages. Problem is that it may not save a history if your computer shuts off. Sorry, no answers here; just a couple of suggestions.

Monday, November 22, 2010 7:45 PM
  • I put everything back to default.  Still the same problem.  

I assume the shutdown only occurs during game play? You mention you have try swapping the graphic card and the problem still occurs? Suggest you to monitor the processor temp in cmos setup under bios, is under health status or hardware monitor depending which bios you're using

Alternatively run memtest or windows memory diagnostic

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:31 AM
    Answerer
  • Yes the shutdown only happens when I load up a game, go through the loading process of getting into the graphics intense part of the game.  Within 20 seconds to 10 minutes the computer will do the described problem above:

"Loaded up the game fine, started playing then 20 seconds into it the screen goes BLACK, the light on the monitor goes to the power saving color and upon the screen it says POWER SAVING MODE.  Sound STOPS, computer is completely unresponsive.  Have to do a hard restart via power button.  The USB light to my wireless adapter shuts off, my keyboard lights still stay on,  the CPU fan can be heard running still during this state, but no matter what I push or tap or click on the keyboard nothing happens."

I ran windows memory diagnostic and it came up with nothing.  Plus I have swapped out the RAM to a different set Corsair DDR3 2gb 1333Mhz.  Have not played with the timing just left it on [Auto].

The critical error in the Event Viewer is Kernel-Power Event ID: 41.  

The strangest thing, which leads me to believe its not a PSU problem, is that when I run a Graphics intensive benchmark test the computer does not shut off.  It runs it just fine.  How can this be? 

Thank you for all your suggestions.  I would really like to try updating my Motherboard's BIOS cause that may be my problem?  I'd appreciate a link to a walk-through :P
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:18 AM
  • Check the manufacturers website for the motherboard, look for any bios updates and what fixes they include. Double check the memory compatablity for your board.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Well.  I was just able to play WoW for about and hour and half no problems.  Then as soon as I swapped to Left 4 Dead 2...2 minutes in the game went to the same problem.  This is odd...Im reinstalling my steam and re downloading Left 4 Dead 2 to see if that fixes it.  Repost afterward.
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Please check this thread, it may be helpful for troubleshooting mysterious shutdown issues.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/w7itproperf/thread/fca6df91-4ce9-481c-86c2-8421b1939c74

Based on this from your earlier post. The post is referencing intel however I wonder if it is a similar issue.

The critical error in the Event Viewer is Kernel-Power Event ID: 41

I understand that this is post is specific to Intel but it indicates to me that your issue may be driver/resource related. Try upgrading drivers for your chipset (motherboard) and other hardware.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:33 PM
  • Well.  I was just able to play WoW for about and hour and half no problems.  Then as soon as I swapped to Left 4 Dead 2...2 minutes in the game went to the same problem.  This is odd...Im reinstalling my steam and re downloading Left 4 Dead 2 to see if that fixes it.  Repost afterward.

Kinda wierd as it occurs only on certain games. Have you check with other gamers/clan or forum to verify if there's any patches or known issue with L4D 2?

If is an graphic issue, doubt u pass the bench mark test as well as able to play WOW.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:41 AM
    Answerer
  • Ok. Reinstalled L4D2 and re downloaded steam.  Still same problem.  I can play WoW perfectly fine for as long as I want.  So this must not be a hardware issue...What do I do? nothing really when I searched google for steam crashing games.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 12:35 AM
  • You will have browse the Steam support and community for an answer. It takes a while to find anything. I did manage to find these tweaks to video settings for L4D2 recommended by Steam.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2537-DLCV-6627

DX8?????

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 10:48 AM
  • TF2 works perfectly fine as well.  Just installed it and played for a awhile.  WTF. It still just does this on L4D2, which is the only real game I wanna play hahaha.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Was a PSU problem.  Replaced and not a problem since :)
    • Marked as answer by Akandytheman Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:01 PM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:01 PM