Install Spell Checker for Spanish RRS feed

• Question

• I believe that I have to install a dictionary before my computer will properly spell check in Spanish.  My default language is English.  The OS is Win7.  I am running Office 2007 with sp1 and sp2 installed. 

When I try to spell check a document written in Spanish, Word displays the red line under all words whether they are correctly spelled or not. 

To spell check I am using the following procedure.  I click Set Language (located on the Review Tab) > Spanish(Mexico) > OK > Spelling and Grammar. 

I believe that the proofing tools are installed.  To verify this I go Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings.  My screen looks like this;

If I am correct, this screen shot indicates that the proofing tools for Spanish are installed.

When I set the language, I get the following window;]

Note the difference between English and Spanish.  Located in front of English is a check mark with "ABC".  This is not in front of Spanish.  I believe that this indicates that the Spanish dictionary is not installed.  Am I correct? What do I need to do?  Is the Spanish dictionary a package separate from the "Proofing Tools". 

I thank you in advance.

ToonTimeTom

Friday, September 30, 2011 11:07 PM

Answers

• If you have an English version of Office, it should have the proofing tools for French and Spanish as well as English.

I note that in the first screen shot in your post, there is the message "Languages labelled with limited support require additional support. For more information, press F1"

Have you done that, and what does it say?  Possibly when Office was installed, not all of the components were installed and it may simply be a matter of going to the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs and modify the installation.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Wednesday, October 5, 2011 2:22 AM
    Saturday, October 1, 2011 10:42 PM