PXE Provider failed to initialize database connection RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks, I can't  seem to get PXE working on SCCM 2012. I've been reading the blogs and tried almost everything I saw that was remotely related.

Symptoms:

When booting a PXE client it times out with No Boot File name Received

The SMSPXE log provides the following nuggets of info.

Here is my configuration/install...

DP and PXE on same box, dedicated ConfigMgr box,

DHCP on separate box, same subnet

No PXE DHCP or IPhelper settings are configured

PXE removed and then WDS was removed, reboot, finished WDS removal, Remoteinstall folders deleted, Reboot.

Verified WDS and PXE removed

Enabled PXE in ConfigMgr

Waited 10 min

Verified WDS Role Install

Enabled both x64 and x32 Boot Images to "Deploy this boot image from the PXE service point" and then Distributed content to the DP

Waited 10 min

Verified both boot images and SMS boot files exist in Remoteinstall\SMSboot and Remoteinstall\SMSImages

Rebooted

FYI... my ConfigMgr 2007 PXE works fine with my test client (I have the WDS service shutdown and disabled on my ConfigMgr 2007 box while testing 2012).

Thanks in advance for the help! Ken

Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:36 PM

Answers

• Your MP is configured for HTTPS. You need to configure your PXE DP with a certificate that your MP will accept.
    • Marked as answer by GeoTech Friday, June 15, 2012 6:36 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:24 PM

All replies

• Your MP is configured for HTTPS. You need to configure your PXE DP with a certificate that your MP will accept.
    • Marked as answer by GeoTech Friday, June 15, 2012 6:36 PM
    Thursday, June 14, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Thanks Kerwin, I'll go back and try that. I thought I had eliminated that as the problem by switching to HTTP from HTTPS for a bit while I tested. But maybe I was not through enough in making sure HTTPS was disabled.

Can you tell me if this this the proper documentation to complete this task?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg682023.aspx#BKMK_clientdistributionpoint2008_cm2012

Thanks, Ken

Thursday, June 14, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Thanks Kerwin,

Confirmed that was the issue. Odd that I enabled HTTP and disabled HTTPS and it failed. Worth knowing if you're troubleshooting the same issue.

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:39 PM
  • That did it for me!  Thanks sooooo much.  I spent a whole day trying to figure this out

Michael Hollis

Friday, April 26, 2013 12:35 AM