Disable accounts based on search RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to automate disabled our vendor vpn accounts at the end of the week. so far I have:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory
    $Enabledlist = Get-ADUser -Filter {enabled -eq "True"} -SearchBase "OU=Vendor,OU=site,DC=job,DC=state,DC=local" | Select-Object SamAccountName 
    foreach($enabledAccount in $enabledList)
        {Disable-ADAccount -Identity $enabledAccount} 

Problem is:

Cannot convert value "@{SamAccountName=vendervpnaccount}" to type "Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.ADAccount"
    I'm not sure how to just get the samaccountname and not the @{samaccountname= with it.

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Use the -ExpandProperty parameter of the Select-Object cmdlet.

$Enabledlist = Get-ADUser -Filter {enabled -eq "True"} -SearchBase "OU=Vendor,OU=site,DC=job,DC=state,DC=local" | Select-Object -ExpandProperty SamAccountName

Or, use dotted notation.

$Enabledlist = (Get-ADUser -Filter {enabled -eq "True"} -SearchBase "OU=Vendor,OU=site,DC=job,DC=state,DC=local").SamAccountName
    Edit: Added second example

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

You need to reference the SamAccountName property of the object:

Disable-ADAccount -Identity $enabledAccount.SamAccountName

Also, you're using $disabledAccount in your loop, but you need to be using $enabledAccount, as that's what you're naming the variable.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,830+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:37 PM
  • yeah, sorry that was a typo; I thought I edited it. I Appreciate the help!
    Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:08 PM
  • Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:09 PM
  • I might be missing something here, but you don't need the loop or the Select-Object.

You can pipe the results of Get-ADUser directly into Disable-ADAccount.

Get-ADUser -Filter {enabled -eq "True"} -SearchBase OU=Vendor,OU=site,DC=job,DC=state,DC=local" | Disable-ADAccount

• Proposed as answer by Mike Laughlin Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:31 PM
    Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:56 PM
  • I might be missing something here, but you don't need the loop or the Select-Object.

You can pipe the results of Get-ADUser directly into Disable-ADAccount.

Yep, that'll work too. I have a bad habit of always using ForEach even when I don't really need to.

Thursday, May 1, 2014 5:31 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for hijacking this post, but I am trying to do a very similar thing, using the replies "that work", but frustratingly, they are not working for me.

What works:

Get-ADUser -Filter {ExtensionAttribute3 -eq "user"} | ft SamAccountName

$users = Get-ADUser -Filter {ExtensionAttribute3 -eq "user"}

$users

User1

User2

These return all the default properties of each user. Great, but I'm only interested in SamAccountName or DistingishedName, therefore, using dotted notation, I should be able to do, but doesn't return anything:

(Get-ADUser -Filter {ExtensionAttribute3 -eq "user"}).SamAccountName

or

$users = Get-ADUser -Filter {ExtensionAttribute3 -eq "user"}

$users.SamAccountName

Any pointers?

Thanks

W.

• Edited by Woter324 Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:05 PM
  • Any pointers?

Yes, start your own thread if you want anyone to see this question.

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:14 PM
  • These return all the default properties of each user. Great, but I'm only interested in SamAccountName or DistingishedName, therefore, using dotted notation, I should be able to do, but doesn't return anything:

Stop trying to use dotted notation. 

If you only want the SamAccountName or DistinguishedName, you need to pipe the result into Select-Object.

Get-ADUser -Filter {ExtensionAttribute3 -eq "user"} | Select-Object SamAccountName

Get-ADUser -Filter {ExtensionAttribute3 -eq "user"} | Select-Object SamAccountName, distinguishedName

Shorter form...

Get-ADUser -Filter {ExtensionAttribute3 -eq "user"} | Select SamAccountName, distinguishedName

Wednesday, May 7, 2014 2:18 PM