none
SCOM 2019: alerts older than 7 days are not available anymore RRS feed

All replies

• These settings are for retention in the datawarehouse, alert grooming in the operationsmanager (and therefore in the console) is different.

Settings for alert grooming can be found in Administration > Settings > Alerts > Automatic Alert Resolution and in  Database Grooming

Monday, June 17, 2019 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

Check your grooming settings in the Administration pane > Settings > Database Grooming, I believe they are 1 week (7 days) by default.

Example from my SCOM 2019 lab:

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Monday, June 17, 2019 12:39 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 12:37 PM
  • Hi Leon,

this configuration were also in previous version of SCOM > 7 days.

But the alerts data was available min. for 30 days.

How about with performance data? We want that these data can be accesible min,. for 3 months.

Shouldn't SCOM datawarehouse DB contain these data (alerts, performance, etc.) longer time? Kevin's script listed different retentuions days, not 7 days.

I am confused.

Best regards

Birdal

Monday, June 17, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Data retained in the DW can only be accessed from reports and perf widget in dashboards, not from regular perf/alert views.

You can decide to keep longer retention in the OperationManager DB, but be careful to not overload it as it only contains raw (non-agregated) data. 3 months worth of raw perf data would require an ENORMOUS database!

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, June 17, 2019 1:04 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 12:54 PM
  • Hi Birdal,

Let me try to clarify this a bit. You got all the OpsMgr DB retention settings as CyrAz and Leon stated, under:

Administration > Settings > Alerts > Automatic Alert Resolution and in  Database Grooming

After this period, the data is moved to the DataWarehouse, wher you can obtain it via different reporting options or directly with a SQL query. Kevin Holman's article is about the Datawarehouse Retention Settings and how to adjust them. 

"Shouldn't SCOM datawarehouse DB contain these data (alerts, performance, etc.) longer time?" You can decide how long you want to retain the data, the process on changing those values is also depicted in the same article. 

So at the end:

- You chose your OpsMgr DB retention settings in the GUI
    - Data gets moved to the DW after the configured periods expire.
    - Data is availale in the DW as per the settings configurey by you, using the dwdatarp.exe tool.

Regards,

(Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognizes useful contributions. Thanks!) Blog: https://blog.pohn.ch/ Twitter: @StoyanChalakov

Monday, June 17, 2019 12:59 PM
  • Hi Stoyan,

our aim is not to change any retention time. But the most important to access to the saved data (alerts, performance, etc.).

As I understood CryAz that is only possible using reports or with perf widgets.

Best regards

Birdal

Monday, June 17, 2019 1:54 PM
  • Hi CyrAz,

what do you mean exactly with perf widgets? You mean "Performance" data under MONITORING? These data include also only 7 days statistics.

The most important thing is how can I access to the alert data older than 7 days.

Best regards

Birdal

Monday, June 17, 2019 1:59 PM
  • I was talking about the widgets that you can add in the dashboards that appeared with SCOM 2012 : https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/rohitkochher/2011/11/15/system-center-operations-manager-2012-dashboards-1/

I can't say for sure if this still exist in SCOM 2019 as I have not deployed it yet, but as per http://blogs.technet.com/b/momteam/archive/2011/10/04/widgets-performance-widget.aspx (not online anymore) :

The performance widget pulls data from the SCOM data warehouse:

The chart is optimized to show no more than 100 data points per line to improve querying and rendering performance. It is important to consider this when configuring the time range for the following reasons:

• If the time range is less than 100 hours the widget will show raw data from the data warehouse
    • If the time range is between 100 hours and 100 days the widget will show hourly aggregated data
    • If the time range is greater than 100 days the widget will show daily aggregated data
    • In addition, in order to optimize rendering performance, if the time range is 2 weeks (336 hours) the query will return 336 hourly data points, but the widget will reduce the number of points in the resulting line to approximately 100 points. This is very similar to what PerfMon does in Windows.

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, June 17, 2019 2:11 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Yep, that's definitely it :)
    Monday, June 17, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Hi CyrAz,

we have such kind of dashboards related to Performance data.

There is definetly NO data older than 7 days there.

Example:

Processor Time % > Performance View

from 01.06.2019 till 17.06.2019 shows only last 7 days, but not older:

Best regards

Birdal

Monday, June 17, 2019 2:58 PM
  • Your screenshot shows a performance view (right click>navigation>performance view), not a performance widget that need to be explicitely created in a dashboard of your own.

You can't open a performance widget from a contextual menu, you have to create a dashboard and then create a widget inside it.

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, June 17, 2019 3:12 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 3:10 PM
  • Hi CyrAz,

that is the dashboarg which we created using dashboard wizard. You can see also the widgets which are defined there.

Best Regsrs

Birdal

Monday, June 17, 2019 3:30 PM
  • These are not "Performance" widgets but "Objects by Performance" ones

(and an alert widget at the top of the dashboard)

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, June 17, 2019 3:49 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 3:35 PM
  • Hy CyrAz,

Microsoft does not offer any more any "Performance Widgets" using the dashboard wizard...see the screenshot

Best regards

Birdal

Monday, June 17, 2019 3:45 PM
  • It does, but that's not where you select it.

You first create an empty dashboard using a template (grid or column layout ); and then, once it's created, you can add widgets inside it.

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, June 17, 2019 3:49 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 3:48 PM
  • Just to make it clear:

1. Create an empty dashboard.

2. In the dashboard, click on Click to add widget.

3. Select the Performance Widget.

4. Select either a group/object.

5. Then click Add to add the performance counters.

6. Select a a time range.

7. Finally specify the chart preferences.

Result:

• Edited by Leon Laude Monday, June 17, 2019 4:11 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 3:58 PM
  • Nope, select the Performance widget just underneath it :D

edit : now it's ok ;)

• Edited by CyrAz Monday, June 17, 2019 4:19 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 4:01 PM
  • Corrected!

Monday, June 17, 2019 4:12 PM
  • Hi Leon,

there is no empty dashboard possibililty to create. Always they are with layouts.

Best regards

Birdal

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:24 AM
  • Hi CryAz,

I will test ist with "Griid" Layout again.

Actually what I sent before above, that is the dashboard with Grid Layout! In the grids I defined CPU, Memory, etc.

Best regards

Birdal

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:31 AM
  • By "empty dashboard" I meant, either a grid or column layout dashboard from the templates.

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 7:34 AM
  • As said previously you need to create a grid layout, and in one of the empty cell you add a performance widget...
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 8:31 AM
  • OK,

I created the Performance Widget in "Grid" layout for a server group. Yes; i can see now more than 1 week data,

BUT

- Configuration takes several minutes for only 3 Weeks back data!!!

- I cannot change time interval. If I want to change it, I must configure it again!!!

- This method does not give me possibility to create dashboards/widgets in a specific management pack.

Hey, People! That is not a good solution from Microsoft. That is just tinkering.

Performance querstion was not my main question in this ticket. Main main question is related to getting alerts which are older than 1 week . Our discussion went to Performance data area.

"Alert Widget" don't give any possibility to define alerts in a time period: days/months/years.

One thing I forgot to write in my question: "Alert link" in SCOM Web Console does not list alerts which are older than 7 days. 

Best regards

Birdal

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 1:55 PM
  • I definitely agree this is not a great solution, but unfortunately that's the only one available in the console (without increasing raw perf data retention). SquaredUp offers a much better solution, but it's a paid-for third party product...

And you're right, Alert widgets do not offer the same possibility.

But I think we pretty much covered the "Alerts" question earlier :

- Default grooming for resolved alerts in console is 7 days, and alerts are getting resolved automatically after 30 days in the "new" resolution state or after 7 days when in any resolution state and their source is healthy.

- You can adjust all these settings in scom console > administration > settings > alerts and database grooming

• Edited by CyrAz Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:17 PM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2019 2:17 PM