Connected to the net, browsing perfect but applications that use the net say that they cannot run/install because of RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows 7 and i ran it for the first time on my new Hp pavillion dv6 laptop. The browsing works perfectly on both explorer and chrome. However any other programs (firefox, skype, windows live messenger) pop up a window that says "not connected to the internet". I can download the programs flawlessly but when the time for them to connect to the net comes, they just say that they are'nt connected. I think that the problem has a common root, though im pretty sure its NOT the firewall, because for programs like skype exceptions have been allowed.

Some help please!!! 
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:29 AM

Answers

• Hi kryptonian88,

It is still recommended temporary disable firewall to test the issue. Also, if router firewall or anti-virus firewall is installed, please disable it to see if the issue occurs.

Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

If the issue persists, could you please provide the following information for further research?

-           What is the computer environment? Is it connected wirelessly via router?

-           When did the issue first occur? Did it occur after installing some software or changing some hardware?

-           Capture screenshot

============

1. Please reproduce this issue, and then press the Print Screen key (PrtScn) on your keyboard.

2. Click the "Start" menu, type "mspaint" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

3. In the Paint program, click the "Edit" menu, click "Paste", click the "File" menu, and click "Save".

4. The "Save As" dialogue box will appear. Type a file name in the "File name:" box, for example: "screenshot".

5. Make sure "JPEG (*.JPG;*.JPEG;*.JPE;*.JFIF)" is selected in the "Save as type" box, click "Desktop" on the left pane and then click "Save".

6. Please upload the screenshot to your SkyDrive at www.skydrive.live.com and copy it here.

For detailed steps on how to upload files with SkyDrive, please refer to:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, December 21, 2009 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:09 AM