how to sync only subfolders in a library in SharePoint 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have one library in which too many folders and subfolders are created.<o:p></o:p>

I want to sync only 2 subfolder to my PC from SharePoint 2013 site.<o:p></o:p>

Is it possible to sync only subfolder instead sync complete library? <o:p></o:p>

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to sync only subfolders in a library in SharePoint 2013.

Using SkyDrive Pro you can only sync at document library level. You cannot sync complete site or a single folder in a document library.

With SkyDrive Pro Sync Client, there is no possibility to Sync a partial subset of a document library. By design the entire doc library gets synced and we get local copies of all the files and folders under it.

When a User attempts to sync a sub folder within a Library, the sync tool always picks the parent Library as the Sync point and syncs everything under it. Users are forced to sync the document library as a whole.

More information:

SkyDrive Pro Demystified! http://blog.technovert.com/2013/11/skydrive-pro-demystified/#more-143

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Amit V Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by JasonGuo Monday, January 6, 2014 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:03 AM

All replies

• Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:47 AM
  • yes this question related to only skydrive pro and i have gone through the above link but no luck still not able to sync only folders. It syncs whole library.

Kindly suggest.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

According to your post, my understanding is that you wanted to sync only subfolders in a library in SharePoint 2013.

Using SkyDrive Pro you can only sync at document library level. You cannot sync complete site or a single folder in a document library.

With SkyDrive Pro Sync Client, there is no possibility to Sync a partial subset of a document library. By design the entire doc library gets synced and we get local copies of all the files and folders under it.

When a User attempts to sync a sub folder within a Library, the sync tool always picks the parent Library as the Sync point and syncs everything under it. Users are forced to sync the document library as a whole.

More information:

SkyDrive Pro Demystified! http://blog.technovert.com/2013/11/skydrive-pro-demystified/#more-143

Best Regards,

Linda Li

Linda Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Amit V Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by JasonGuo Monday, January 6, 2014 1:43 AM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 7:03 AM
  • Hi Linda, 

Skydrive Pro should be able to sync individual subfolders - it is a major flaw that it does not.  It is a particular problem as:

1. this was available in SharePoint Workspace (pre 2013)
    2. is available with Connect to Outlook
    3. is available with OneDrive!

I.e. it is available with the non-business version!

Lack of individual folder sync is an absolute show stopper for two of my customers.  We have a central Document Library that contains folders by Project/Task - there could be hundreds of folders so syncing the entire library is inappropriate.

I cannot understand why it has been discontinued.

Regards

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 3:01 PM
  • I cannot agree more with John!

How come we cannot sync subfolders? As per this official document here I have a limit of 5000 items per library, so even if I wanted to sync the whole library it won't be possible! And I don't want to! What is it that a consumer app can do and an enteprise pendant is unable to cope with?

Sincerely

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:14 AM
  • I strongly agree as well.

Microsoft,

You need to put together a coherent response to this question.  As pointed out earlier, sub-folder sync capabilities were available in previous Sharepoint workspace tools.  More importantly, SkyDrive/Onedrive (non-business version) allows sub-folder sync.  Since you've increased the per user storage from 25GB to 1TB, how do you expect anyone to utilize even a small fraction of that space if we can't selectively sync folders?  An all or nothing library sync approach is going to quickly kill the momentum from the recent storage increase announcement.  There are many, many customers of ours that would switch immediately to using Sharepoint Online but instead are forced to consider Egnyte, Box.com, and others for real file sharing and sync capabilities.  Please post something to address if/when Microsoft is going to enable this crucial feature.

Kent

Saturday, May 17, 2014 10:01 PM