Server 2003 error in Roles RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to reinstall corrupt files from an incomplete installation. I am getting the error message

cant open input file: updatekbxxx.msu

I created a folder on the C drive called new and put my kb978601.msu file inside of it. I ran from the command line

-F:* UpdateKB978601.msu C:New

I had renamed the update file to KB978601.msu

What exactly am I doing wrong here?

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:12 PM

Answers

• The tool wouldn't run after the freeze. Thus the long road down to corrupt files. Still haven't figured out why the files would not expand. Oh well, for now I will simply reformat and skip that portion of my class. Perhaps there is more wrong with my server than just software. Diagnostics said everything was fine.

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 5:23 PM

All replies

• I'd try downloading again and install without reaming it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS10-019

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:47 PM
  • I did and copying and pasted the name into the command line. Same error message.

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 2:48 PM
  • I created a folder on the C drive called new and put my kb978601.msu file inside of it. I ran from the command line

-F:* UpdateKB978601.msu C:New

Expand -F:* UpdateKB978601.msu C:\New

This then shows a cab file which also needs to be unpacked:

Expand -F:* UpdateKB978601.CAB C:\New\CAB

Is your operating system 2003?

For more information.

Add role error 0x800F0818.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/180cf94a-1baa-43ed-89c3-54fbd22af3b0

Thanks

• Edited by MYousufAli Monday, September 17, 2012 3:07 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Expand -F:* UpdateWindowsServer2003-KB978601-x86-ENU.msu x:\New

Error message  Can't open input file: updatewindowsserver2003-kb978601-x86-enu.msu

I can't expand this file nor the second one that I need.

Original error is that I can't open my roles in Server 2003 in Active Directory.

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:01 PM
  • I am trying to reinstall corrupt files from an incomplete installation

incomplete installation of what, this kb or something else? Need to know the whole story.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:42 PM
  • I installed Server 2003 and Active Directory. Added roles. Everything was working fine until I did Windows updates. The machine froze completely. Literally, I let it sit overnight. I hard powered it down. When it came back up the Roles had errors. Would not load. So I Google the error and it told me I needed to do the following:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/roplatforms/archive/2010/05/12/how-to-fix-server-manager-errors-after-installing-updates-hresult-0x800f0818-hresult-0x800b0100.aspx

Which I have followed. However, when I try to expand the file, I get the following error message:

Expand -F:* UpdateWindowsServer2003-KB978601-x86-ENU.msu x:\New

Error message  Can't open input file: updatewindowsserver2003-kb978601-x86-enu.msu

I can't expand this file nor the second one that I need.

Original error is that I can't open my roles in Server 2003 in Active Directory.

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Ok, well that document is for Vista/2008 - Windows7/2008 R2. Completely different kernel than 2003. This one might help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

If it were mine and since its a new install I'd be inclined to scrap it and start over.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Well, I was doing this as a teaching tool. So I purposely killed the power on my server. I wanted to show the class how to use these tools to fix server issues without having to reformat.

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:31 PM
  • Ok, gotcha. Problem is there's not always going to be a solution for that situation (various unexpected results) hence the need for UPS and or genset backup power.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:33 PM
  • Also should always deploy DCs in at least pairs making them GC as well to minimize dispruption in case one of them fails.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:37 PM
  • I also installed Server 2008 with DNS and Active Directory. This server did freeze on the windows updates and then I killed the power. This does seem to be a common problem, any idea why the freeze occurs? I have been able to duplicate the issue twice now; however, with no fix.

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Haven't heard of this freeze issue but recommended to run the system update readiness tool to verify the servicing store for Vista/2008 - Windows7/2008 R2.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/What-is-the-System-Update-Readiness-Tool

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:53 PM
  • The tool wouldn't run after the freeze. Thus the long road down to corrupt files. Still haven't figured out why the files would not expand. Oh well, for now I will simply reformat and skip that portion of my class. Perhaps there is more wrong with my server than just software. Diagnostics said everything was fine.

Tina Jansen

Monday, September 17, 2012 5:23 PM