none
Failed to boot after Image RRS feed

• Question

• OK, please can anyone offer any advice as I am staring down the barrel of 90 of these laptops and I cant image a single one.

We have HP 250 G2 Notebook laptops (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/HP_250_G2_Notebook_PC_DS.pdf)  The BIOS options are as follows with no seemingly way to enable 'legacy support' as with other HP models.

I boot to deployment wizard, selects my image and install then after 1st reboot I get this:

I've tried all possible combinations of BIOS Settings and have googled but found no answers.

One possibility I'm looking at is the version of Windows 7 I have is old, perhaps I should update the version of Windows 7 on my deployment share to Win7SP1 (Downloading right now) although I don't want to go through building my image again if I can help it.  I can comfortably image every other unit I have.

I'm out of ideas, never seen this before, can anyone help?

Regards JH

• Edited by _Jonnie Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:09 AM
    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 11:07 AM

All replies

• OK I hope this helps someone.  

Apparently after January 2014 HP started putting motherboards boards in that dont provide 'legacy support' and therefore this model will not support Windows 7.

First time I called HP they sent me a BIOS Flash.  After flashing a unit, the machine then failed to do anything.  It completed successfully, the laptop would post and then halt, so that one is going back.  The rest are being swapped for G1's which do support Win 7.  Some people just dont wat Windows 8 yet Microsoft and HP.  2nd time I called they conclusively said it wont support it.

All I can say is be careful when purchasing laptops to make sure you fully understand CSM, EFI, UEFI etc and find out if your unit can support Windows 7 if you intend to roll back.  Be thorough.  Documents saud it would, even HP docs.  They changed after January, sneakily if you ask me! Ours are being exchanged, but others might not be so lucky.

Thanks!

Regards JH

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:52 PM
  • see this post about the issue you are experiencing. 

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=209045

• Proposed as answer by MrBrooks Monday, March 24, 2014 5:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by _Jonnie Monday, March 24, 2014 6:39 PM
    Wednesday, March 19, 2014 7:59 PM
  • This is the reason you're not getting a bootable device. It has nothing to do with compatibility, Legacy means it will boot with an NTFS/MBR scenario -- Legacy support has nothing to do with if the device will support Windows 7.  You can image the device with a UEFI scenario.
    Monday, March 24, 2014 6:06 PM
  • Hi MrBrooks. Thanks for clearing that up. I understand what you are referring to now a little better I have since done some reading. However please see my second post in which I have had it confirmed by the manufacturer that this device will not support Windows 7. We were sent the home boxes not enterprise boxes which don't support the roll back. Not sure what else there is to argue after HP themselves say it won't work. We have had replacements and this is now all working without issue. I have unmarked the post as the proposed answer because it seems like a wierd work around to me as opposed to a supported solution to the original problem. Thanks.

Regards JH

Monday, March 24, 2014 6:44 PM
  • That is ridiculous if HP told you those machines don't support windows 7.  Their support page lists numerous versions of Win7 as supported operating systems.  I believe there is some confusion in what they told you.  The machine may not support the OS "rollback", but you are not trying to rollback.  You were attempting to re-image the machines.  The absence of legacy mode, does not prevent you from installing Win7 as MrBrooks stated. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh290675(v=WS.10).aspx

• Proposed as answer by MrBrooks Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:08 PM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 3:03 PM
  • Don't know what else to tell you, HP told me they changed the motherboard around January time which explains why their product information lists Windows 7 as supported. They out right told me the machines will not support windows 7, end of. So they went back and we got new ones. Windows 7 being listed on the website is the reason I spent so long on it and started this thread. I deployed Windows 7 and it would not boot no matter what I tried. Windows 8.1 however, was fine.

Regards JH

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:04 PM
  • It would be more helpful to list a link on the HP website that confirms Windows 7 is incompatible with this laptop.

I have personally encountered more than my share of Tech Support Personnel that should not be relaying information like this to customers. And as of right now we only have 2nd hand information to go by.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 9:31 PM
  • So I have read all the above and unfortunately I'm in the same boat. ATM I have a laptop that will not install Windows 7 from DVD, and no option on the machine for Legacy, the install DVD for windows 7 stops at the windows logo splash screen, I do not have a windows 8 install cd either.  Originally I have Windows 7 on this laptop and stupidly did the BIOS upgrade from the HP website, I have resulted in this scenario. Any hep would be much appreciated! many thanks Glenn.
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 9:14 AM
  • If the machine is uEFI, best thing to try is to find the "legacy" or "CSM" mode in the firmware, and to disable "Secure" boot.

Otherwise, try downloading the latest version of WIndows 10 (it's free), put the contents of the ISO image on a USB Drive (not the *.iso image, but the contents of the ISO image), and see if it works. If it does not boot, then I would say you have *bigger* problems with this HP machine. :^)

Otherwise, go into the UEFI firmware and reset all the settings (if possible), and try again. Contact HP support if you are really stuck. The inability to boot into Windows 7 is not in of itself a MDT problem.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Friday, October 24, 2014 4:56 AM