Removing User Restrictions with a Batch Script RRS feed

• Question

•  

Working at a Public LIbrary, we frequently have new versions of programs and new software and changes that need to be made on the Public Computers.  For instance, I just downloaded Adobe 8 and because I already designed Custom Restrictions for my Teen login, I can't figure out a way to add Adobe 8 to the Teen's Start Menu since the Start Menu is locked down.

Shared Toolkit had a batch script that would basically allow you to REMOVE user restrictions and then when you've made necessary changes, APPLY user restrictions.  Of course this had to be done when WIndows Disk Protection was turned off.

Does SteadyState have a batch file to REMOVE user restrictions and to APPLY user restrictions? I saw something (but it seemed to not work for me) that makes it easy to unlock and lock user profiles by importing/exporting a locked/unlocked user.  Simply unlocking a user profile only allows any changes made to a user profile to be a permanent change but I cannot add Adobe 8 to a locked down start menu this way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

Thank you for posting here!

Based on my experience, there is no such a batch script can remove SteadyState restrictions. Importing/exporting user profile will not work either, because importing a user profile which already exists will restore the Desktop, Start menu to default.

You can try the following method:

If you have the user profile locked, you can copy the shortcut to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>.orig\Start Menu\Programs

If not, copy it to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs

Of course, you also need to configure  WDP to "Retain all changes permanently" or select “Save changes and then continue" if the WDP warning appears when shutting down from an administrator account.

Hope this information helps on this issue.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:39 AM
  •  

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your clarification.

In your case, you can consider the export/import feature of SteadyState. We can save two status of the user profile:

1. Without Restrictions (export the profile to SSU file before restrictions are configured)

2. With the restrictions you need (export the profile to SSU file after restrictions are configured)

If you would like to make changes, import the first SSU, which will overwrite the restrictions. Then make changes, and then import the second user profile.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

Thank you for posting here!

Based on my experience, there is no such a batch script can remove SteadyState restrictions. Importing/exporting user profile will not work either, because importing a user profile which already exists will restore the Desktop, Start menu to default.

You can try the following method:

If you have the user profile locked, you can copy the shortcut to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>.orig\Start Menu\Programs

If not, copy it to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Start Menu\Programs

Of course, you also need to configure  WDP to "Retain all changes permanently" or select “Save changes and then continue" if the WDP warning appears when shutting down from an administrator account.

Hope this information helps on this issue.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:39 AM
  • Shawn,

have you figured out a way to "remove all" or "apply all" restrictions when an adminstrator sets up custom restrictions with the users?  I really liked this feature with Shared Toolkit using the batch script.

For instance ...

If I lock down the computer with custom restrictions, and my director asks me to load a new program for a locked profile that should only be accessible from the "start menu" pin (NOT all programs), I would like to be able to install the program as administrator, "remove all" restrictions on the users, go into each user account, make changes, pin to start menu, go back to admin, apply restrictions, and be done with it...

how do other people circumvent the issue of making changes to the user profiles when they have a load of custom restrictions to keep track of?  I don't think the "unlock/lock" profile does the trick on this procedure.

Ryan

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:06 PM
  •  

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your clarification.

In your case, you can consider the export/import feature of SteadyState. We can save two status of the user profile:

1. Without Restrictions (export the profile to SSU file before restrictions are configured)

2. With the restrictions you need (export the profile to SSU file after restrictions are configured)

If you would like to make changes, import the first SSU, which will overwrite the restrictions. Then make changes, and then import the second user profile.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Friday, February 29, 2008 12:07 PM