none
Cannot boot into Safe Mode with Networking - Windows 8.1 Update RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to boot into safe mode with networking. I can successfully boot into Safe Mode, but my Network Access is always disabled.

I've tried msconfig / Click on Restart / Restart Now from the Update and Recovery menu in 'Change PC Settings'. They all eventually get me to the Same boot options menu which says ... F4 for Safe mode, F5 for Safe mode with Networking etc..  I select the F5 Safe mode with Networking and it re-boots into Safe mode but I have no network access. 

I'm connecting to my home ADSL, no proxy required. If I boot normally I have network & internet access, but in 'F5 Safe mode with Networking' my networking is disabled.

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:24 PM

Answers

• I've found the issue. 
    I had Hyper-V installed, which I assumed was causing the issue. I un-installed Hyper-V while running all the checks I was asked to in the above posts, but no joy.

Today I noticed that, although I uninstalled Hyper-V, the Network Bridge connection that Hyper-V created to share the physical WiFi adapter was still present (although the vEthernet connection it was bridged with was removed). Removing the Network Bridge resolved the issue. I could then boot into Safe mode with Networking and the networking/internet connection was working.

Unfortunately I have to have Hyper-V installed, so I've now re-installed and Safe mode with Networking is broken again :)

• Marked as answer by BladeSoftware Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Safe mode only loads basic drivers and services to startup the operating system, "no internet connection" is normal. Safe mode with Networking loads additional network card driver to enable the internet connection, some network adapter drivers might don't get loaded even in safe mode with networking, you can turn on this option, open device manager, scroll down to Network Adapter, expand it, enable this option. then try to open IE to check if it can connect to the network.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 21, 2014 8:28 AM
  • I rebooted into safe mode with networking and checked all the items under 'Network Adapters', they are all enabled. In the list of WiFi connections, I can see that I am actually connected to my router, but the network icon still shows as disconnected.

Monday, April 21, 2014 3:31 PM
  • I can see that I am actually connected to my router, but the network icon still shows as disconnected.

What about the Network list via the Settings charm (Win-I)?  Last week I was having problems with that one after long sleeps.  Later I realized that although I could see the icon in the Settings charm (as normal) when I clicked on it, it still showed the same icon as I was expecting; the difference is that it didn't show "Connected"; so, clicking on the icon proved that it was offering a Connect button and clicking that finally got me connected.  Meanwhile the troubleshooters were misleading at best and destructive at worst, suggesting I power things off, etc.  I don't know if there was a fix for this specific symptom or whether I just tried a different path but yesterday instead of trying the above procedure I tried to see what the Network troubleshooter associated with IE's "unable to connect" page would do; amazingly it identified the problem precisely.  That connection had somehow acquired a connect manually attribute.  The troubleshooter offered to fix that problem for me and I accepted.  Since then, no more problem.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 21, 2014 6:21 PM
    Answerer
  • I've found the issue. 
    I had Hyper-V installed, which I assumed was causing the issue. I un-installed Hyper-V while running all the checks I was asked to in the above posts, but no joy.

Today I noticed that, although I uninstalled Hyper-V, the Network Bridge connection that Hyper-V created to share the physical WiFi adapter was still present (although the vEthernet connection it was bridged with was removed). Removing the Network Bridge resolved the issue. I could then boot into Safe mode with Networking and the networking/internet connection was working.

Unfortunately I have to have Hyper-V installed, so I've now re-installed and Safe mode with Networking is broken again :)

• Marked as answer by BladeSoftware Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 9:16 AM