Backup Questions for Best Practice RRS feed

• Question

• A colleague and I were discussing backups which lead me to this question.  For SharePoint 2010 backups, do you need to run backups in SharePoint 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2 or do you choose one over the other to perform your backups.

What is the best method below:

1. SharePoint 2010 and SQL Server 2008 R2 Backups
    2. SharePoint 2010 backup only
    3. SQL Server 2008 R2 backup only

Are both SQL Server and SharePoint backing up the same information and if that is not the case what is both methods actually backing up?

-Thanks

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:39 PM

Answers

• A SharePoint 2010 full farm backup (Backup-SPFarm -Full) not only backs up content databases, but also service application databases.  It does not back up databases not directly attached to SharePoint (for example, it does not backup SSRS 2008 R2 databases, but does back up SSRS 2012 databases as SSRS 2012 is a service application).

In general, I would recommend SharePoint farm backups as opposed to SQL backups, if you do not have a 3rd party backup solution and your content databases are <200GB.  This provides SharePoint with extra information pulled from the config database for restoration.

If you're performing HA/DR, then you'll still need to look at performing SQL transaction log backups.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by LluvianBlack Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:29 PM

All replies

• They're not mutually exclusive and can be rather complimentary.  as a caveat, the below are just from my experiuences and other members of the community will hopefully correct anything I'm in error on.

SharePoint 2010 back-up only captures the content databases.  2010 included some parameters for the config database but this level of output can be imported straight into a SharePoint farm of equal patch level.  You can assign between 1 - 10 threads (from memory, I could be wrong) to export this back-up, with the greater number of threads increasing the possibility of a dodgy output.  I believe this back-up will include stuff in the recycle bins, versions and permissions.

For the SQL side of things, you're going to have to worry about things like the transactions and setting up a SP environment.  Restoring from a pure SQL back-up is a lot more "fiddly" than a SharePoint back-up.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 2:16 PM
    Answerer
  • A SharePoint 2010 full farm backup (Backup-SPFarm -Full) not only backs up content databases, but also service application databases.  It does not back up databases not directly attached to SharePoint (for example, it does not backup SSRS 2008 R2 databases, but does back up SSRS 2012 databases as SSRS 2012 is a service application).

In general, I would recommend SharePoint farm backups as opposed to SQL backups, if you do not have a 3rd party backup solution and your content databases are <200GB.  This provides SharePoint with extra information pulled from the config database for restoration.

If you're performing HA/DR, then you'll still need to look at performing SQL transaction log backups.

SharePoint - Nauplius Applications
    Microsoft SharePoint Server MVP
    MCITP: SharePoint Administrator 2010

-----------------------
    This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by LluvianBlack Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:42 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 3:29 PM