Farewell Lawrence RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was saddened to learn of the passing of Lawrence, and will greatly miss his enormous contribution to the IT Pro community over such a long time.

This forum, and many others, along with friends and family, have lost a tremendous asset, but will have the memories and skills willingly shared over such a long time.

Lawrence's way of communicating was frequently misunderstood, which is surely why he is sometimes labelled as "curmudgeonly" - personally, I always enjoyed his dry humour and turn-of-phrase.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/solarwinds-community/geek-speak_tht/blog/2015/02/09/lawrence-garvin-so-long-and-thanks-for-all-the-fish

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:20 PM

All replies

• Oh, my word - I'd been wondering at his recent absence from the WSUS forum.

More than one person got frustrated with his style of answers - I disagreed with him myself a time or two.  But his knowledge of WSUS must have been among the most encyclopedic on the net; his SolarWinds articles are among the clearest explanations of WSUS (of any complex Windows administrative function, in fact) I've ever read.

And his forum answers, while often more than a little acerbic and impatient, were hugely detailed, lucid, and very fast - but never read like boilerplate.  He responded to so many questions in such detail that I often wondered how he found time to do anything else.  For everyone I saw who complained about his answers or his attitude, there were ten who said words to the effect of, "Thank you; that's exactly the answer I needed!"
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 8:47 PM
  • He will be missed by many in the WSUS community for sure. I used to always read his replies here in this forum and he did help me with some issues I have had over the years, starting with WSUS 2.0 and up.
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:24 PM
  • I had the pleasure of working directly with Lawrence for the last number of years, and in person he was what I could only describe as an utter gentleman and devoted family. 

His sudden passing was a shock and a loss to us all, thank you Don for creating this thread.

For those interested, his last recording went up today, and at the end of the video there is a tribute to Lawrence from his colleagues

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/labs_tht/solarwinds-lab

• Edited by Michael Halpin Thursday, February 19, 2015 10:14 PM added URL
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Very sad news indeed. Farewell Lawrance

Sean Kight MCTS, MCTPS

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:33 AM
  • I miss him a lot already. Everything I know about WSUS I learned from reading his posts in this forum.

Rolf Lidvall, Swedish Radio (Ltd)

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:45 AM