“List only” only permissions in Sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All !

I have assigned only the following Special Permission Levels (out of the 33) to users in a simple Document Library:

List Permissions

1. View Items-View items in lists, documents in document libraries, and view Web discussion comments.
    2. View Application Pages - View forms, views, and application pages. Enumerate lists.

Site Permissions

1. View Pages - View pages in a Web site.
    2. Open - Allows users to open a Web site, list, or folder in order to access items inside that container.

With these, the users can list the content of the DocLib as its needed, but my problem is they can still open the items. I want them only to see the list of items, but prevent to open them.

If i remove the View Items rights they lost the ability to view the list of items in the DocLib which is not desired.

Could anybody give me any hints how to setup such thing.

Thank You

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 20, 2011 1:23 PM This is not a SP 2010 forum. Ask here ONLY about pre-SP 2010 products. 2010 removed from title.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 20, 2011 1:24 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, May 20, 2011 6:47 AM

Answers

• Looks like the only permssions that you do not have is the List Open Permision.. A good starting poing is if yiou look atv what the Vistirs Group gets, they cant chahge anything but are able to read averertthing..

Vistors get by default the following

1. List View
    2. Open Items
    3. Ctreate alerts and
    4. View Applicatioin Pages

Theb 2 that arte necessary atre List View and List Open in oder to open and read doce and list items..

-Ivan

Ivan Sanders My LinkedIn Profile, My Blog, @iasanders.
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:40 AM
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Hi,

Please check the the following post http://dimension-si.com/blog/archive/2008/07/16/sharepoint-view-and-read-permissions.aspx

A Summary of Differences between the View and Read Permissions

View Permission - Allows users to open a Web site, list, or folder in order to access items inside that container. View items in lists, documents in document libraries, and view Web discussion comments.

Read Permission - Allows Users to View items in lists, documents in document libraries, and view Web discussion comments. Open Items and View the source of documents with server-side file handlers.

-Ivan

Friday, May 20, 2011 7:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please check the the following post http://dimension-si.com/blog/archive/2008/07/16/sharepoint-view-and-read-permissions.aspx

A Summary of Differences between the View and Read Permissions

View Permission - Allows users to open a Web site, list, or folder in order to access items inside that container. View items in lists, documents in document libraries, and view Web discussion comments.

Read Permission - Allows Users to View items in lists, documents in document libraries, and view Web discussion comments. Open Items and View the source of documents with server-side file handlers.

-Ivan

Friday, May 20, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Hello Ivan,

i already fiddled with the built in Permission Levels,

and tried the View Permission and Read Permission.

If i click on a item it still offers me to File Download dialog with Open or Save options.

Despite of the granted View Permission only i can still open and view the source of the documents. For example a simple RTF document.

So this is why i created my custom Special Permission level out of the 33 base permissions which is even stricter than the built in one.

Thank you

Friday, May 20, 2011 11:10 AM
  • Looks like the only permssions that you do not have is the List Open Permision.. A good starting poing is if yiou look atv what the Vistirs Group gets, they cant chahge anything but are able to read averertthing..

Vistors get by default the following

1. List View
    2. Open Items
    3. Ctreate alerts and
    4. View Applicatioin Pages

Theb 2 that arte necessary atre List View and List Open in oder to open and read doce and list items..

-Ivan

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:40 AM
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 12:37 AM