Multiple IPK's served by one KMS server? RRS feed

• Question

• Our situation is that we renewed our KMS licenses for Vista back in April and then bought another batch of licences for Win7 in August. They didn't graft the 2 together into one super-key since the they have different expirations. Is it possible to have one KMS server serve for multiple IPK's or do I have to setup a second server for the Win7 keys?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 10:19 PM

Answers

• Hello Jesse,
    The Windows 7 KMS host keys should activate both Windows 7 and Windows Vista clients
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:35 AM

All replies

• Hello Jesse,
    The Windows 7 KMS host keys should activate both Windows 7 and Windows Vista clients
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Hi Darrell,
    It will activate both, but we have N licenses of Vista and added N+25 licenses of Win7 and will need both for the added test pool. I'm guessing I'll just have to setup a second KMS.

Thanks for your help,
    Jesse
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:29 PM
  • Hello Jesse,
    I am not sure why you feel the need to setup two KMS servers.  Both are serviced by a Windows 7 key, one will handle the load without any issues. The KMS host will count both sets of clients as one number, it doesn't care whether the client is Windows Vista or Windows 7.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Hi Darrell,
    Thanks again for your reply. I'm probably doing this wrong, but as I understand it, our 75 Vista licenses are covered under one IPK and we have a new IPK for the additional 100 Win7 licenses we purchased after. I'm not able to install both IPK's in the server and see a combined total of 175 licences since its only able to accept one IPK at a time. Instead I have to run 1 server for the 75 and another for the 100. I tried to get an answer on this from our TAM, but he did not know and his contacts in the licensing group didn't either. Its a little tedious, but we just generated a slightly different unattend.xml for win7 than vista and it should work. 

I apologize if I'm missing your meaning. Do you mean that having both licenses in eopen should aggregate our license count and when the server ATO's it'll have the combined total count?

Thanks,
    Jesse
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:22 PM
  • Hello Jesse,
    The KMS host doesn't match the count with the number of licenses that you have.
    Matter of fact it stops counting a two times the minimum needed, so the count doesn't go above 50, it keeps activating as long as count remains over 25.
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 6:05 AM