Migrating to SCCM 2012 R2. Should we start deleting collections or just exclude them from the migration wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am looking for some experienced advise. We are in the process of migrating from CM07 to CM12 R2. My questions is should we starting deleting collections now or just let data discovery run and then select only the collections we would like to keep. From my understanding there may be some possible dependency and linking t other objects (Advertisements, quires..etc)

Thanks,

Phil

Phil Balderos

Tuesday, October 1, 2013 8:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Phil,

First of all, R2 is still in beta, and the EULA does not allow you to inplement it in production.

Furthermore, you can simply exclude the collections from the migration. should there be any dependencies with other collections, the Migration Wizard will let you know.

-Wortell- www.wortell.nl Techready.nl @kcmaster_

• Proposed as answer by Gerry HampsonMVP Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by vPhillip B Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:13 AM
  • See here for how the process works (there are screenshots showing you the options)

Gerry Hampson - Migration SCCM 2007 to 2012

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

First of all, R2 is still in beta, and the EULA does not allow you to inplement it in production.

Furthermore, you can simply exclude the collections from the migration. should there be any dependencies with other collections, the Migration Wizard will let you know.

• Proposed as answer by Gerry HampsonMVP Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by vPhillip B Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Why do you want to delete collections at all?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• See here for how the process works (there are screenshots showing you the options)

Gerry Hampson - Migration SCCM 2007 to 2012

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

• Marked as answer by vPhillip B Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Why do you want to delete collections at all?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Hi Torsten,

Some of the collections (Direct, and Query) were created just for some softeware deployment projects that have since completed. Also some where just used for testing deployments.

Phil Balderos

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Hi Phil,

Hi Klaas,

Yes you are correct (slapping my self on the hand). It is schedule to release on October 13th. I would actually then like to start the migration from CM07 then and wrap it up before the end of the year.

Phil Balderos

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 1:09 PM