none
Microsoft Word - EULA and crashing RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed my Office 2003 suite on the "Windows 7 test machine" (which is also the XP machine, with the same copy installed on it).  It installed and registered OK, but I have two problems:

1.  Every time I start it, the EULA comes up again, and I have to click on "Accept" before it will continue.

2. If I click on (or sometimes, even point to) Tools or Help, Word will crash.   I get a message that the program has stopped working, and it's looking for a solution.   Then it tells me there's no solution.

I tried Office 2007 but took it back because it doesn't do some of the things I do, so it's XP or Open Office.   Does anyone know the cause (and the solution) to the two problems above.   Should I try removing and reinstalling the Office suite?   Are there any different settings I should use?   I can't see why it should be OK on a second install if it wasn't on a first, but...

[Edit:  Excel and Publisher also bring up the EULA screen every time, but I've not had any crashing problems with those.]
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• Run as Admin isn't an option on theWin 7 setup I have.

It started crashing regularly last night, so I uninstalled it.  It then wouldn't reinstall. 

In the end, I found the fix on another thread in here - it's a tweak to a setting in the registry. 
    The fix is at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/b5f2835a-63ad-4ae7-992d-c9d518b5b2fe
    That solved it completely for me.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:00 AM

All replies

• I am having the same problem, the error is "setup bootstrapper has stopped working"
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Right click on the executables and select Run as Admin.  Does that stop the EULA prompts?

As for the crash i would suggest you try running it in Vista Compatibility mode.

~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:54 AM
  • Run as Admin isn't an option on theWin 7 setup I have.

It started crashing regularly last night, so I uninstalled it.  It then wouldn't reinstall. 

In the end, I found the fix on another thread in here - it's a tweak to a setting in the registry. 
    The fix is at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/b5f2835a-63ad-4ae7-992d-c9d518b5b2fe
    That solved it completely for me.
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 9:00 AM