WMP 12 - Fails again (subtitles!) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'll make it fast ;)

I download and watch with subtitles a lot of series from the USA and GB (don't like the dubbing and that way i can improve my english) but never could use media player to do this cause there's no way I can add the subtitles (srt files mostly).

Yes, I know there's a codec/vdx in order to do so but never worked so far.

Any chance for MS to add this option? People will begin to use massively their player.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:28 PM

Answers

• Yes, better support for SRT/SUB is a known feature request.  Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:15 PM

All replies

• Yes, better support for SRT/SUB is a known feature request.  Thanks for the suggestion. :)
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:15 PM
  • I'd love WMP12 forever if MS supported more subtitle files like SRT/A.SS/SSA/SUB and so on.

also while they are at it, add MKV and FLAC support pretty plz.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 2:39 PM
  • *Get ffdshow:

http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

*Activate subtitles on video decoder options.

*Also put "all supported" in Decoder for "Raw video" format under the codecs option. With this option you can use an external video decoder different than ffdshow and play the subtitles. In example, I am using CoreAVC for x264 and using ffdshow only for the subtitles.

*Copy the .srt (or other format) to the directory where your video files is. Rename the subtitle file with the name of the video file.

After this, WMP12 should play your movies with subtitles.

I recommend not to use the 64-bit version of ffdshow, because is less stable and there is no Haali Media Splitter nor CoreAVC for x64. But if you do, ffdshow will only work when you are using 64-bit WMP12 executable. 

The problem is that, by default, when you open a video file in Windows 7 x64, it calls WMP12 32-bit. And ffdshow64 will only work with the 64-bit version of WMP12. So after installing ffdshow64 you will have to run "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" manually (not the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe").

For MKV you need Haali Media Splitter (for WMP 32-bit only, there is no official 64-bit version):

http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/
    Saturday, February 14, 2009 10:43 PM
  • As a matter of fact windows 7 release 7100 DOES HAVE subtitle and mkv support. I am playing all of my anime / subtitled videos (in formats such as srt, ssa, ____, etc in windows media player JUST FINE. I have the new public release RC1 build 100 and it works perfectly.

NOW if I could only figure out how to make the text size smaller :\

I have Win7 RC1(build 7100) but I am not able to see the subtitle while playing avi files.
    I don't have any codec installed.

Can you please let me know if I need to change any settings in order to view the subtitles in WMP12?

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:17 AM
  • Per Henrik above, this will work if and only if you have installed an external handler for SRT/MKV.  Those aren't handled natively - the difference in the RC version is that WMP now (again) supports plugging in in this fashion. :)
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:10 PM
  • I have the exact solution for this, I am from Costa Rica and I need subtitles for the series I download

What you need to do is download this plugin and install it (like 2 seg for install) and in the folder of the video, paste the .srt file with the SAME name of the .avi (for autoload sub), then open the video and there you go

Here's the page http://www.free-codecs.com/DirectVobSub_download.htm
    And here the direct download http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=4940&s=379

Let me know how it goes
    • Proposed as answer by Sotcr Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:22 PM
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Fantastic. Thank you. Is perfect so.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:53 PM
  • I know! :) Is wonderfull lol !
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 3:24 AM
  • But.... doesn't work with mp4 video. Have you any answer?
    I would like because I have some movies in mp4.
    Tank you
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 12:51 PM
  • This is ridiculous. It's now June 2010 and STILL Microsoft have not solved the subtitle issue with Media Player 12!!!

I've scoured forums but the only solutions provided is to modify existing system files, but this kind of remedy is just not satisfactory for ordinary users who are less technically competent. There have constantly been problems regarding subtitles in older versions too, so why does this keep happening? Is it really so difficult for someone to sort this out? VLC works with no subtitle problems, but it seems that Microsoft developers are constantly avoiding the issue. When will the update to correct this issue be released?

• Proposed as answer by Sotcr Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:43 PM
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 4:44 PM
  • Hi there... I know is very sad than microsoft dont listen to our needs, but you should look third-party program or plugins.

For WMP you can donwload this, it's a simple plugin, you just have to install it, and put the SRT file in the same folder than the video. 

If u need any help with this, reply me

Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:46 PM
  • You could always get vlc player it plays almost any video/audio file extension out there and all the codecs are already installed with the program.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 6:49 AM
  • Hi there... I know is very sad than microsoft dont listen to our needs, but you should look third-party program or plugins.

For WMP you can donwload this, it's a simple plugin, you just have to install it, and put the SRT file in the same folder than the video. 

If u need any help with this, reply me

I cant understand it anymore. I´ve downloaded all of the needed codecs )directvobsub, K/lite but even FFDshow. Still I can´t see my .srt subs while watching an .avi file. Both have the same name only .srt or .avi after it.

Could someone help me??

Thursday, July 29, 2010 7:25 AM
  • I love to use WMP, but I got the same problem....

WMP12 can't auto load srt file, while playing mp4 file.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Sunday, January 30, 2011 10:42 AM
  • There is a great open source, free, very efficient, able to read almost every type of video without needing to install any codec nor any filter, Media Player which is also able to display subs as long as the sub file is in the same directory than the video, it's called VLC Media Player and you can download the latest version here : www.videolan.org  (official site)

I use it for several years and have not touched Windows Media Player since.

VLC is much better !!

Saturday, February 12, 2011 8:31 PM

So, how's thing gonna change in Windows 8?
    Friday, May 4, 2012 5:03 PM
  • YES!!!!! FINALY!!!! IT WORKS!!!! This is pure magic! It works with windows 8.1!!! I couldn't do it with direct vobsub or klite or ffdshow but this tiny thing did it!! Thank you soooo much Alexander Demidov for wmpsub!!!!

• Edited by mmikep Friday, May 2, 2014 1:59 AM
    Friday, May 2, 2014 1:44 AM