none
Using Multiple Monitors in Remote Desktop Session

Question

• Hi everybody,

I have a remote connection that I need to configure 2 monitors. Each of them must be showing a different window full time (a monitoring activity).

In every forum that I visit, I have same answer: in Display tab of Remote Desktop Connection, tick "Use all my monitors for remote session".

But when I'm connected (remotelly) to my host computer, I try to Maximize and/or increase my remote screen and nothing happens, just 1 remote screen in 1 monitor.

In the Screen Resolution Configuration, it shows just 1 remote desktop (RDPDD Channel) monitor and I can't make any change about it.

I also tried to change some Local Group Policies as showed in Tech Community Microsoft Blog "Using Multiple Monitors in Remote Desktop Session", in both sides, host computer and client computer.

And nothing happened, it seems that all different settings in Remote Desktop Connection on client computer doesn't take effect.

Is that something that I'm missing?

PS: Sorry for not posting images and links (I'm not allowed by this platform yet).

Friday, February 22, 2019 8:38 PM

All replies

• Multiple-monitor support in Windows 7's Remote Desktop is available only on Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise. Furthermore, both the local and remote systems must be running one of the supported versions.

If you don't have these versions of Windows 7, you can still use the monitor spanning option.

This website goes into good detail on all of this:

Use multiple monitors with Windows 7's Remote Desktop Connection

-Tony

Friday, February 22, 2019 11:41 PM
  • Microsoft Windows Media Exhibitor Pro utility,is for running 2 or more monitors at same time..Try search at Microsoft.com/downloads...
    Saturday, February 23, 2019 3:56 AM
  • Microsoft Windows Media Exhibitor Pro utility,is for running 2 or more monitors at same time..Try search at Microsoft.com/downloads...

I cannot find a tool called "Microsoft Windows Media Exhibitor Pro" on Microsoft's website.  There was something similar for making Windows Media Player use multiple monitors, but that's unrelated to RDC.

Andrew, please post a link to the download.

-Tony

Monday, February 25, 2019 1:11 AM
  • In Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 7 Enterprise editions, Remote Desktop Connection supports the use of multiple high-resolution displays in a remote session.

So the Windows 7 Professional do not support the Multi monitor.

Workaround:

Go to: https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/releases

Download the latest release's zip(currently: https://github.com/stascorp/rdpwrap/releases/download/v1.6.1/RDPWrap-v1.6.1.zip)

Unzip

Double click the "install.bat"

Have fun - you got Windows 7 professional as remote computer supporting multi monitor

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 25, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 28, 2019 9:22 AM
  • That's a good point, both of them are Windows 7 Professional.

Although spanning option doesn't work at all.

Friday, March 8, 2019 4:21 PM