Autoupdate Windows Defender RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i'm using Windows Server 2016 as a workstation.
    every day i see a notification, that i must manually run the Windows Update to update the Windows Defender.
    is it possible to configure, that this update will be installed without user actions?

Thursday, February 2, 2017 3:28 PM

Answers

• by design
    • Marked as answer by Anahaym Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:45 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

On Windows Server 2016, Automatic Updates (AU) is enabled by default on Windows Server 2016 and configured to Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them.

You may change the AU setting to Auto download and schedule the install and configure schedule or automatic maintenance.

The group policy AU setting is under

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update.

If you want to install only Windows Defender related updates automatically, please check whether the schedule task method within this article below works:

SOLVED: How to Make Windows Defender to Update Automatically

http://www.urtech.ca/2014/08/solved-how-to-make-windows-defender-to-update-automatically/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amy Wang_ Friday, February 3, 2017 2:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, February 20, 2017 2:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Anahaym Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:09 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 2:33 AM
  • Hi,

Is further assistance required at the moment?

Best Regards,

Amy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 2:51 PM
  • sorry, i didn't test it yet
    Monday, February 13, 2017 5:01 PM
  • Unfortunately nothing helped. I still get notifications about updates...
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:10 PM
  • even now, when I log into a server it says - you have an update. and this update is Defender only... Why it could not be installed without my attention?
    Tuesday, October 22, 2019 4:35 PM
  • by design
    • Marked as answer by Anahaym Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:45 PM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 10:45 PM