Additional send connector for secondary site RRS feed

• Question

• We have a 4 Exchange 2016 servers configured into a single DAG that spans 2 sites.  We do not have an Exchange Edge Server; rather, we use a clustered pair of SMTP gateways.

Site1 contains the servers EX2016A and EX2016B.  Site2 contains EX2016C and EX2016D.  Until recently, only Site1 had direct Internet connectivity; Site2 accessed Internet through the WAN link to Site1.  There is excellent connectivity over the WAN link.

We currently have a clustered pair of email gateways (GW1 and GW2) in Site1.  Within Exchange, there is a send connector to the Internet configured with the load balanced VIP for GW1 and GW2 as its smart host and with EX2016A and EX2016B as source servers.

We are in the process of installing two email gateways (GW3 and GW4) in Site2 and they will be clustered with the original two gateways and we will establish a Site2 VIP for these two gateways.  We plan to establish two additional mx records for them for incoming mail.  The mx records for GW3 and GW4 will have a lower priority so that incoming mail will still come in through Site1 unless the Internet link to Site1 is down.  In that case, Site2 will receive incoming mail.

I understand that Exchange adds a cost for crossing site boundaries when calculating the lowest cost route.

Can I create a second Internet send connector with EX2016C and EX2016D as its source servers and with the VIP for GW3/GW4 as its smart host?  If I can do that, will all mail generated from a mailbox in a database that is mounted on either EX2016C or EX2016D use that new send connector and go out the new smart host while all mail generated on an Exchange server in Site1 still goes out the original send connector to the original smart host? 

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 9:15 AM

Answers

• Thank you very much for your reply.  

I want mail to go out in the event that one of our Internet pipes goes down.  If I were to configure a scoped send connector for GW1/GW2 (Site1) with EX2016A and EX2016B as its sources, then create another scoped connector for GW3/GW4 (Site2) with EX2016C and EX2016D as its sources, what happens to mail flow it the Internet connectivity to Site1 goes down?  Would EX2016a and EX2016B detect that there is no connectivity and route their outbound messages to EX2016C and EX2016D for delivery through the connector to GW3/GW4?  Or would the mail from EX2016a and EX2016B just sit there until the Internet was available again?

It would wait until the Internet was available again.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Logan Burt Wednesday, August 15, 2018 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Per my knowledge, we need to check an option named "scoped send connector" on each of the send connectors, then these connectors will be only used by the transport servers in the same AD site

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Manu Meng Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:28 AM
    Thursday, August 9, 2018 6:56 AM

I want mail to go out in the event that one of our Internet pipes goes down.  If I were to configure a scoped send connector for GW1/GW2 (Site1) with EX2016A and EX2016B as its sources, then create another scoped connector for GW3/GW4 (Site2) with EX2016C and EX2016D as its sources, what happens to mail flow it the Internet connectivity to Site1 goes down?  Would EX2016a and EX2016B detect that there is no connectivity and route their outbound messages to EX2016C and EX2016D for delivery through the connector to GW3/GW4?  Or would the mail from EX2016a and EX2016B just sit there until the Internet was available again?

Monday, August 13, 2018 7:20 PM

It would wait until the Internet was available again.

Regards,

Manu Meng

• Marked as answer by Logan Burt Wednesday, August 15, 2018 11:02 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 9:28 AM
  • Thank you very much for your response.  I appreciate the clarification.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2018 11:02 AM