none
Use of subcontracted resource pools on tasks in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I work for a federal government IT application development and support organization. We use contractors to actually perform the development and maintenance of the applications.

We need to be able to assign a pool of resouces to a task and contractually the contracing firm decides who works on the actual task. The pool usually consists of more than 1 person each having 40 hours per week of availability.

However for resource utilization, we need to know if the pool of resources has any remaing availability to determine if we can take on new projects. We also need to see if the resource pool is over allocated.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Jay W. Ahean, PMP, CSM

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:16 PM

All replies

• Jay --

To be able to assign a team of resources to a task so that one of the resources takes over the task and performs the work, you would need to create a Team resource for this purpose.  Review the following information about how to set up and use team resources:

When you assign a Team resource to a task, one of the resources in the team must navigate to the Team Tasks page from the Tasks page in PWA and take over ownership of the task and perform the work on the task.

Regarding how to determine utilization for the resources that are members of teams, I would recommend that you create one of more BI Center reports for this purpose.  In each report, you should select the specific resources that are part of a team and then you can see their Capacity, their current Work hours, and their Availability (aka Remaining Availability) for the time periods in which you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, January 6, 2012 9:47 PM
  • So tell me if this is correct for your situation:

you maintain a project and a set of 'generic' resources that represent whole teams of exteral organization resources. You assign "Vendor X - Developer" to a task. you have been told that there are 10 Developers at Vendor X. You have no visibility at all into which developer from vendor X will actually work on your tasks. you need to know how much Vendor X developer time you have scheduled and how much of your 10 heads are still available.

Is that right?

if so then i would create a Work resource of type "Generic" for each Vendor\Position you have and then set the Max Units field to be 100 * the number of heads in that pool. so if you have 5 heads it would be 500%.

then assign the resources as normal and then using the standard reporting tools in the Resource Pool or a custom SSRS report to examine the workload over time of those generic resources.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Friday, January 6, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Dale,

First, I want to say that I am taking you Ultimate On-Demand Boot Camp for Project 2010 and it's has to be on the most informative, well organized and well paced CBT's I have ever taken! Thank you!

Second, contractutally we are not able to see or control who works on each assigned task. The contractors do however need to enter time sheet information for their groups actual task work and administrative time for a TBD time period (daily, weekly, monthly) as well as their administrative and support time. Brian Kennemer's summation of the situation is closest to what we have to work with.

Any other thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Jay

Jay W. Ahearn, PMP, CSM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Brian.

Your summation of our situation is fairly accurate! I'm finding it difficult to change my thinking from a single person to a company/team as a resource when we will not be tracking and managing specific people.

To use your analogy, Vendor X has several teams of people that will be working on a number of tasks for us. Examples might be developers, DBA's, system admins, etc. And from our prospective, each team is considered a resource that will be used for planning, assignment to tasks, and reporting (utilization, costs, etc).

We also need to consider that each person working for Vendor X does not work 100% for us each day nor will the teams be working 100% on each assigned task. Would we still set the resource to 100% * number of people for the resource max units? When we assign the resource to a task, would we use the number of people working on the task * a percentage?

Thanks for your input! As soon as we can stand up our Project Server 2010, we will begin testing and planning for the use of generic resources.

Jay

Jay W. Ahearn, PMP, CSM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 3:51 AM
  • I think it would be best to start with 100% * the number of people on the team. Then tailor the individual assignments on tasks to represent the approximate percentage that that team member will be working on that task.

Brian Kennemer – DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 5:55 AM
  • Can time be captured for generic resources in Project Server?
    Jay W. Ahearn, PMP, CSM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Jay --

Thank you for your very kind comments about our CBT.  I do not have any other suggestions on how to address your resource needs.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:37 PM