WSUS post install failure RRS feed

• Question

• Had an issue on a domain joined Windows 2012 r2 WSUS server that required me to remove WSUS and reinstall.

Have done so.

However the post-installation task fails "Fatal Error: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service"

I have tried both the GUI and the "wsusutil.exe" to define the local storage folder.  Both methods failed with the above error.

There still seems to be residual parts of the old WSUS install in place even after I have uninstalled everything.  By "everything" I refer to WSUS, IIS and windows Internal Database.

Even though ALL those items are removed, then added this issue still persists.

Any help getting beyond this fatal error would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edward Ray

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 4:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• Found error in log file.  This is the same error that caused me to uninstall and reinstall in the first place.  See below.  How do I get this server to NOT process this configuration change?

Log file snippet:

2016-08-16 21:38:46  Generation of encryption key to save to the database failed. Error=System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot save configuration because the server is still processing a previous
    configuration change. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: spSetConfiguration was called while a Reset Process was Needed/InProgress cannot change Configuration at this time
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.DrainObsoleteConnections(SqlException e)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.DatabaseAccess.DBConnection.ExecuteCommandNoResult()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.NoResultSPHandler.ExecuteStoredProcedure(DBConnection connection)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler, Int32 queryTimeoutInSeconds)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.GenericDataAccess.ExecuteSP(String spName, DBParameterCollection args, IExecuteSPHandler handler)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPSetConfiguration(ConfigurationTableRow row, IDictionary changedLanguages, IEnumerable`1 programKeys)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccess.ExecuteSPSetConfiguration(ConfigurationTableRow row, IDictionary changedLanguages, IEnumerable`1 programKeys)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServerConfiguration.Save(Boolean detectConfigChange)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.StartServer.StartServer.GenerateNewDatabaseEncryptionKey()
    2016-08-16 21:38:46  StartServer encountered errors. Exception=Cannot save configuration because the server is still processing a previous
    configuration change.
    2016-08-16 21:38:46  Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CommandException: Failed to start and configure the WSUS service
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

Edward Ray

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:11 AM
  • Are you using WID ? SQL ?

Thanks, Sandheep

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:13 AM
  • WID.

Edward Ray

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Hi hungkikethor67,

Please install SQL management studio 2012 on the WSUS server, and use \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query to connect to the WID, and check if the SUSDB is still in the WID, if yes, right click SUSDB>TASK>Detach, then check C:\Windows\WID\Data, check if SUSDB and SUSDB_log is there, if yes,delete them.

Microsoft® SQL Server® 2012 Express download link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=29062

Then reinstall WSUS again and check the result.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 18, 2016 5:51 AM
  • Anne:

will try over weekend and let you know of result.

Ed

Edward Ray

Friday, August 19, 2016 6:21 AM
  • Hi hungkikethor67,

Just to confirm if you have got any progress. If you need further help, feel free to feed back.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:10 AM