none
Copying .ADMX files to local gpo

Question

• I am trying implement a gpo for win 10 devices, I created a win 10 test machine and downloaded the Windows10_Version_1511_ADMX file and had it installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 Version 1511\.  The dilemma I have is how do I copy these over to C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions, when there is already .admx files there.  I tried copying via powershell(with admin rights) with no luck, changing ownership of policydefinitions and still get access denied.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

• Edited by Scovy Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:14 AM
    Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:14 AM

Answers

• With version 1511 there are newer gpos that I'd like to work with, reason for trying to import these .admx files.

I have tried running the commands to take ownership of policydefenitions and still get a access denied, in both cmd and powershell, both have admin privileges.  I am also a local admin on the workstation. 

Any additional thoughts on getting access to copy these .admx files over?

you will need to take ownership (by default owner=TrustedInstaller)
    after taking ownership, you can then grant yourself FullControl permissions
    you can then overwrite the existing files with the updated files

you will need to replace the ADMX files and also the corresponding ADML files within the relevant <culture> subfolders

I usually do this by using Windows Explorer;
    select PolicyDefinitions folder, r-click, properties, Security, Advanced, ChangeOwner (include subcontainers and objects), OK, OK.
    then go back in to PolicyDefinitions folder, r-click, properties, Security, Advanced, Permissions, Add, to grant yourself FullControl, OK, etc.

depending upon the type of user account you have, to find the account, so that you can grant permissions to it, you may need to use the Advanced object picker to select the desired account.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Marked as answer by Scovy Tuesday, April 05, 2016 6:18 PM
    Saturday, April 02, 2016 7:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please take ownership of Policydefinitions and its all files and subfolders, then grant your account with write access and try again. It is better to use administrator account.

You could run commands as below:

takeown /f %windir%\Policydefinitions /r /a

icacls %windir%\PolicyDefinitions /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /t

Here is a similar thread, you could also take a look at it:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/326d85b2-48ea-4437-815a-7a5ff4c411e9/cannot-copy-admx-files-to-policydefinitions-folder-permission-denied?forum=winserverGP

Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 2:56 AM
  • I created a win 10 test machine and downloaded the Windows10_Version_1511_ADMX file and had it installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Group Policy\Windows 10 Version 1511\.

This isn't necessary.

Your Win10 test machine, already has the Win10 admin templates, located @ c:\windows\policydefinitions\

Thursday, March 31, 2016 8:02 AM
  • With version 1511 there are newer gpos that I'd like to work with, reason for trying to import these .admx files.

I have tried running the commands to take ownership of policydefenitions and still get a access denied, in both cmd and powershell, both have admin privileges.  I am also a local admin on the workstation. 

Friday, April 01, 2016 4:38 PM

you will need to take ownership (by default owner=TrustedInstaller)
    after taking ownership, you can then grant yourself FullControl permissions
    you can then overwrite the existing files with the updated files

you will need to replace the ADMX files and also the corresponding ADML files within the relevant <culture> subfolders

I usually do this by using Windows Explorer;
    select PolicyDefinitions folder, r-click, properties, Security, Advanced, ChangeOwner (include subcontainers and objects), OK, OK.
    then go back in to PolicyDefinitions folder, r-click, properties, Security, Advanced, Permissions, Add, to grant yourself FullControl, OK, etc.

depending upon the type of user account you have, to find the account, so that you can grant permissions to it, you may need to use the Advanced object picker to select the desired account.

• Marked as answer by Scovy Tuesday, April 05, 2016 6:18 PM
    Saturday, April 02, 2016 7:44 AM