Exchange Server 2003 Drive Out of Space RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I ran out of space on my exchange server 2003. Since I didn't have space on the current disk for a degrag, I attached another drive and performed an offline defrag using eseutil, but the space only reduced 2 GB from it's original (29 GB). I had deleted a journal mailbox(about 20gb) before the defrag. So i shouldn't my total free space  after the drag be more than 2 GB? Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks a lot in advance for your valuble opinions.

• Edited by J10314 Sunday, January 8, 2012 4:30 PM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 4:23 PM

Answers

• HI,

Once you need to claim the white space from the DB. you should always zero the deleted items retention to zero.

Then you need to perform the online maintenance which is normally schedule to run after 12:00AM or 4:00 AM. This has to be change to imeediate in case of urgency. Once online maintenance complete you will get the actual white space information in 1221 eventid. Make sure that there is not a single mailbox in disconnected state.

Once all done run the offline defrag followed by isinteg.

Shashi
    • Proposed as answer by Shashi.Surve Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by J10314 Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:03 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for all your replies and suguestions.

I finally got the free space on the database back. Though I ran the defrag a second time, it did not release the white spaces.

I did not move the database to another store. Instead I ran integrity fix with isinteg. Upon completion I saw another 4 GB of space on that drive.

And finally when the online maintenance ran at midnight, it released the white spaces.

THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS ONCE AGAIN!!! 

Jins
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:03 PM

All replies

• Did you 'purge' the mailbox after deleting it?   If not, it could be that the 20 GB mailbox is still in the store, just in a disconnected state, thus still consuming space.

ref:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998119(EXCHG.65).aspx

Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Check your retension settings, and if mailboxes are kept until backups are complete, if this is the case, wait until maintenance completes then check and perform again.
    Sukh
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Thanks. And Yes! I had purged the maibox after deleting it.
    Jins
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:41 PM
  • I don't have that keep mailbox until backup enabled.

Right now as I'm typing this, I'm trying to create some space on the drive by copying some files over to the other drive. Once this is complete, I'm going to try an online defrag to see if it releases the 20 GB stuck on database. 

If you think of anything else that I can try pls post. Thanks a lot.

Jins

Jins
    • Edited by J10314 Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:50 PM
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:48 PM
  • Did the online main run after deleting the mailbox successfully?

Then did you do the defrag?

Sukh
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 10:55 PM
  • The online did not run as I had dismounted the database. I ran eseutil right after deleting the journal mailbox and let it run over night (took about 6 hrs).
    Jins
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:21 PM
  • check results over the OLM

Sukh
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Yeah! I'm hoping to run the maintanence in couple of hours.
    Jins
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Hello,

Any updates on this issue?

Did you use Event ID 1221 to check the available whitespace that the database contain?

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:58 AM
  • Yes! It says I have about 24 GB of free space available. But how do i reclaim this space? Eseutil \d did not fix this for me.  I also tried a repair of the database. Any ideas?
    Jins
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:35 PM
  • I suggest you dismount the database, do Offline defragmentation to reduce the physical size of the Exchange database, then check for the size.

How to defragment with the Eseutil utility (Eseutil.exe)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192185

Thanks,

Evan

Evan Liu

TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 13, 2012 2:45 AM
  • Evan mentioned checking the 1221's which is one of the first things i check.  if you DO have that kind of WhiteSpace, 20GB, my suggestion is NOT to defrag but if you have some diskspace somewhere else, MOVE the MBs to a new store.  Once that is complete, i would run a quick backup and make sure everyone is back online, things are in order, etc.

the last step would be to delete that old, bloated, DB and then recreate.  move all your users BACK into that "new" DB and call it good. check users for capabilities, online status, etc.

this is the fastest "defrag" i can suggest.  offline defrags take forever and you still run the risk of losing data, but more importantly TIME.  moving users is a "service interruption" because only the users being moved at that time will be affected.  Offline Defrag they will all be affected while it is down.

just my 0.02 € worth,

shiv

Monday, January 16, 2012 4:06 PM
  • now you know that the OLM is reporting the white space , try another defrag.

Alternatively, create another DC, move users across and delete the old DB.

Sukh
    • Unproposed as answer by Shashi.Surve Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:19 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:57 PM
  • HI,

Once you need to claim the white space from the DB. you should always zero the deleted items retention to zero.

Then you need to perform the online maintenance which is normally schedule to run after 12:00AM or 4:00 AM. This has to be change to imeediate in case of urgency. Once online maintenance complete you will get the actual white space information in 1221 eventid. Make sure that there is not a single mailbox in disconnected state.

Once all done run the offline defrag followed by isinteg.

Shashi
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Thanks for all your replies and suguestions.

I finally got the free space on the database back. Though I ran the defrag a second time, it did not release the white spaces.

I did not move the database to another store. Instead I ran integrity fix with isinteg. Upon completion I saw another 4 GB of space on that drive.

And finally when the online maintenance ran at midnight, it released the white spaces.

THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS ONCE AGAIN!!! 

Jins
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 5:03 PM