I cannot take ownership of "System Volume Information" folder in any drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone!

I have really serious problems about taking ownership in my system. I cannot take ownership of "System Volume Information" folder in any drive even non-system drives, fresh windows installed. For example the folder takes space about 300 GB of drive E for unknown reason! I didn't use it as backup or restore drive. I checked it in system protection and it was disabled and current usage was 0 bytes. I checked it for bad sector and there was no problem.

When I try to take ownership of SVI folder I faced "Access is denied" error for each item in the folder:

An error occured while applying security information to:
    ..\{1897303d-d394-bla bla bla...
    Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied.

I tried to take ownership of it as my only account and administrator account which both didn't work.
    What's wrong with it?! 

As more information:
    I had some troubles with windows backup. I was using it for a year, automatically, every weekend, without any problem but it finally decided to not do it's job and show me error and error and error(s)! I did nothing since last successful backup... . By the way, I searched for a month, 2 to 3 hours per day and I'm not kidding! Nothing and no one could solve it. Everyone everywhere said "take ownership of volume information folder", I couldn't in any way!
    It was disappointing... I really take care of my system, don't know why this happened. Any way A month later I couldn't use Bluetooth for another unknown reason, searched 2 days, get angered (so much!) and reinstalled the windows, completely!

Now I can use my Bluetooth :)
    I don't know backup works or not, I don't care, I hate it :)
    I can't still delete that +300 GB in drive E, and can't take ownership of volume information folder in E :)

Sorry for my English,
    Thanks for helping :)

Friday, September 22, 2017 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

We can limit the SVI folder by referring this folder, so that OS will automatically clear the older data. This folder stores many system restore points, please limit restore point size to reduce the size of this folder. 

1. Click Start icon, type "view advanced" click view advanced system settings

2. Click System Protection tab

3. You will see a list of all your drives and whether or not system restore is enabled for each

4. Click Configure, adjust the limit for restore points, click ok. Click ok to close System Properties window.

In addition, to fix your Backup issue, would you please let me know the detailed error message when your backup is working. 

Upload the event log as below onto OneDrive and share the link for our research: 

%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Application.evtx

%SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\Microsoft-Windows-Backup.evtx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 25, 2017 8:11 AM
  • Hi,
    Thanks for helping :)

After first time installation of windows 10, I realized my E drive is getting full. I searched and found the problem. System protection for E drive was checked as disabled but max usage was setted to +270 GB! I didn't do that.
    Any way I reduced it to 20 GB but I didn't delete "created restored points".
    But... after having trouble with windows backup and failing to find a solution and then facing Bluetooth problems also failed to solve it, I reinstalled Windows 10 completely!!!
    After that I tried to delete restored points stored in E drive which failed! System protection couldn't recognized them and showed me 0 bytes as space usage in E drive. So I tried to delete them manually that as I said I could not take ownership of SVI folder in E.

By the way I backed up my files and formatted E drive but I don't know that will I have this ownership problems in the feature or not?!
    I didn't try to take ownership of SVI folder in another drives, because I'm done with it, I hate it!

Sorry for my English again,
    Thanks again!
    Monday, September 25, 2017 9:36 AM