Microsoft Access 2016 gives the following error: Unexpected error from external database driver (1). RRS feed

• Question

• A user is reporting the following error when she attempts to open tables in Microsoft Access:

Unexpected error from external database driver (1).

I'm guessing this has to do with a Windows Update (she has Windows 10 Enterprise), but I cannot find any helpful information pertaining to this issue and Microsoft Access.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Monday, December 3, 2018 8:35 PM

All replies

• does she get this error directly in Access?
    Sounds more like an error from a different program that is using Jet to open a database.
    Monday, December 3, 2018 9:40 PM
  • Hi CarenL, 

Here is a known issue similar issue which was caused by update and will report "Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)" when creating or opening Microsoft Excel .xls files.

We could refer to the following article to install November 14 update, and check if the issue could be fixed.“Unexpected error from external database driver (1). (Microsoft JET Database Engine)” after applying October security updates. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Friday, December 7, 2018 1:48 AM
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 2:29 AM
  • Hi CarenL, 

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result.

If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Best regards,
    Joy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 7, 2018 1:48 AM
  • Hi CarenL, 

If you have any other issue, please reply to us directly at any time. 

If my reply is useful for you, mark it as an answer should be more helpful for other customers.

Bests,

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 7:47 AM