Windows Internet Explorer 9 did not finish installing RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting the error "INTERNET EXPLORER 9 DID NOT FINISH INSTALLING " but the Installed Updates in windows 7 x32 does not list Windows Internet Explorer 9. I even tried using command prompt to remove IE9 and that didn't work. I used this command --- %windir%\IE9\spuninst\spuninst.exe --- and it didn't work either. I cannot even install IE10 because I get a message stating that there is a more current version installed

PLEASE help

Thursday, September 19, 2013 7:30 PM

Answers

• I cannot even install IE10 because I get a message stating that there is a more current version installed

Then that means you should not be trying to install IE9 because you already have some IE10 modules installed somehow.

First, go to Windows Features and see what it says about Internet Explorer.  What version is showing there?

Next, open System Information, Loaded Modules (e.g. Run... msinfo32.exe) and sort by Version.  Sort ascending because we think that you are going to find some which start with 10. and the sort is string based, not numeric.  Look at  ieframe.dll  for example.

Then if you really do have some IE10 level modules it should be IE10 that you should be trying to uninstall and reinstall, not IE9.  However, after uninstalling IE10 you might want to do the same checks again to see if you have IE9 or IE8 before you start trying to install IE10.

Note that having Internet Explorer unchecked in Windows Features will just cause you confusion.  All that does is hides the iexplore.exe stub program, leaving the remaining Internet Explorer browsing functionality intact at the level shown.  That is why you can always go into System Information, Loaded Modules and check what version of IE you actually have installed.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Sunday, October 6, 2013 8:16 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:26 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I recommend you to reinstall IE9 manually in clean boot mode.

Link for how to perform a clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If it doesn’t work, please refer to the link below to uninstall IE 9 and then reinstall it manually.

Link for IE not listing in installed updates:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/965227/en-us

Also, you can check in Start>Control Panel>Programs>Programs &Features>Turn Windows Features On or Off and see if IE8 is still showing. If it is, disable it, and then try installing IE9.

Hope this helps and let me know the result!

Saturday, September 21, 2013 5:24 PM
  • I cannot even install IE10 because I get a message stating that there is a more current version installed

Then that means you should not be trying to install IE9 because you already have some IE10 modules installed somehow.

First, go to Windows Features and see what it says about Internet Explorer.  What version is showing there?

Next, open System Information, Loaded Modules (e.g. Run... msinfo32.exe) and sort by Version.  Sort ascending because we think that you are going to find some which start with 10. and the sort is string based, not numeric.  Look at  ieframe.dll  for example.

Then if you really do have some IE10 level modules it should be IE10 that you should be trying to uninstall and reinstall, not IE9.  However, after uninstalling IE10 you might want to do the same checks again to see if you have IE9 or IE8 before you start trying to install IE10.

Note that having Internet Explorer unchecked in Windows Features will just cause you confusion.  All that does is hides the iexplore.exe stub program, leaving the remaining Internet Explorer browsing functionality intact at the level shown.  That is why you can always go into System Information, Loaded Modules and check what version of IE you actually have installed.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Sunday, October 6, 2013 8:16 AM
    Sunday, September 22, 2013 4:26 PM
    Answerer