Windows 7-64 Ultimate-How to change attributes; Read-only files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks!

For several times all my files contains unexpected read only attributes. How is it possible to be to be log in as administrator, but not given RIGHTS to change options?

Any knew?

Please guide me or give me advice, it will make me happy. 

Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Where are they in? Are they in some system folders, or folders which you do not have permission, or you are not an owner of.
    Would you inform the name of folders? 

Regards.
    Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:17 PM
  • Totally 13 HDD (needed of backup, many HDD are mirror backup) all of this device have folders, files as well, like  read only attributes! This folders and files are not system, hidden files.

Generally it's files witch I have copy into devices different folders. I did have the possibility to renamed, delete etc. The problem are some system files, as DLL (dynamic Link Library)  files with same tributes. Some software need this DLL to be able to talk in cross over software platform, to be in correct functionality, as well.

I did get ability to make a change of attributt, but as soon I'm finished to change the attributt, it's automatic re-changes to read only again.  

I'm log in as Administrator, in my use profile I can observe  "me" and system as administrators. Properties are for both user profile set as assigned to all and expanded rights.

In my network policy, if I goes to local network policy,>>local policy>> try to 

Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:01 AM
  • Hi,

I suppose the drives which have problematic files(changed to ReadOnly automatically) are not local drives, but they are in file server, NAS, etc.
    If they are in control of other OS than local Windows, rules are determined by other OS.

Are the drives in local or on network?

Regards.
    Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:16 AM
  • Hello,

all drivers are local connected to my stationary PC. Non other OS, else to Win7. I was inspected my Windows Firewall, and notice the Bitdefender controlled the firewall, and some options in my network policy. I turn off all options for Bitdefender to been taken control, but no change even after re-boot.

My security are handled with some other software in addition, Scotty Patrol, Duke sniffing for change and protection the system. My automatic HDD root boot backup system are take care of Nova system. Overall, stange to not arrived full right when log in as administrator? 

Sunday, April 17, 2016 5:37 AM
  • Hi,

please check whether your security programs are interfering with the permissions.

please disable your security programs (try Safe mode) and reset the permissions to your folders/files in Admin account or Run as Admin.

Then reboot to Safe Mode and see whether permissions have changed.

If not then disable security programs and reboot in Normal Windows and enable one security program(see which one is changing the rights) at a time.

It would be best to change your user account from Administrators group to Users.

This way the security programs won't have Admin rights when you logon as 'User'

Regards

• Proposed as answer by Anil Eapen Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:55 AM
    • Edited by Anil Eapen Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:10 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:55 AM
  • Hi Roof-55NO,

Based on your description, we could try to take ownership of the folder. Please refer to the link:

Take Ownership of a File or Folder:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc753659.aspx

We could also try to use handle.exe to check if any software is processing.

How to unlock files using handle.exe and process name?

http://superuser.com/questions/486668/how-to-unlock-files-using-handle-exe-and-process-name

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Handle v4.0 download:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/handle.aspx

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:15 AM
  • NO. All my 13 HD device are controlled by OS Win7-64 Ultimate. No other OS installed. Nor there is any NAS configuration. Handled for security software: Bitdefender total control 2016, Scotty patrol, Duke sniffer, Hitman Pro. I can hear such a sound of "to much security"... well if it was up to my opinion, I will be satisfaction with just Bitdefender. However, missing part during 20 years with Windows and discovery malware, virus hijack etc. etc., every othe security program fill up for missing option.  
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:08 AM
  • Nice infomation, thanks.

Well, was trying to install handle.exe, but during last period of installation, handle.exe try to execute some using CMD. I think this operation are refused implemented in the act are not registered as successful installation. I run the downloaded file again, the same event occurs. Remember, my HDD C:\ are read only functional properties. I try, if possible, to install handle.exe from safe run(?).

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:11 PM
  • I searched on line for a long time and found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advice may help you, please refer to this link:

all files suddenly Read Only:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-office_install/all-files-suddenly-read-only/1f01a6d6-3943-459f-91a5-a905b321be6a?auth=1

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Tony_Tao Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:35 AM
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 10:34 AM
  • I searched on line for a long time and found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advice may help you, please refer to this link:

all files suddenly Read Only:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversion_other-office_install/all-files-suddenly-read-only/1f01a6d6-3943-459f-91a5-a905b321be6a?auth=1

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@mi

Hi, Tony. I belive this should be a goal, but it didn't. I was tried out all in this thread. Not mention before, the Home-group did not allowed to be created on this pc, the system time are different to local time.  I was thinking at he BIOS time adjust widows local time? I remarks when try to change properties, the attributt are set ON! That means the change by unchanging read only, make no sense for change. If not set, it will be set ON. I went  to control panel, goes to System, cheeking whatever my network was set for private or public, in same way if I'm using my pc from my working base. I re boot, but did not five right to change attributes. Also try to share all my HDD, not the answers.  

Sunday, April 24, 2016 2:25 AM
  • It seems very strange, have you check the HDD?  Sounds like there is something wrong with it.

Please refer to the link:(apply to Windows 7)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-sg/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 7:47 AM