After using msconfig , certain programs aren't viewed in the service-tab anymore RRS feed

• Question

• Since a few days my laptop won't shut down correctly, it waits for "task host window" to shut down. So i read somewhere that i could use msconfig to shut down all the programs and start them again piece by piece to see what program caused the problem. So now i've turned off all the programs in the service-tab of msconfig but they dissappeared after the computer startup. I can't start them  because they aren't viewed. Does anyone now how to fix this?

• Edited by Sjoerd076 Friday, October 18, 2013 7:42 PM
    Friday, October 18, 2013 7:41 PM

Answers

• 1. Filter your Event logs and start just before you have changed configuration.

2. It is very hard to give a reasonable advice, when ther is no imput info for analysis.

3. Use Process Explorer from Sysinternals to dig deeper and see what is running.

4. Sometimes the faster remedy is bases on restore from backup after important data are saved.

Rgds

Milos

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 28, 2013 3:56 PM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:12 PM

All replies

• 1. Return settings to original ones. Restart.

2. Look into Event logs and analyze errors and warnings.

3. Publish your findings.

HTH

Milos

Saturday, October 19, 2013 12:16 AM
  • Hi Milos,

thanks for responding,

but as soon as i try to return settings to original ones it immediately jumps back to the current settings.

I also looked into my Event logs, but i would't know what information i can get out of thousands of errors and warnings? 

Saturday, October 19, 2013 2:08 PM
  • 1. Filter your Event logs and start just before you have changed configuration.

2. It is very hard to give a reasonable advice, when ther is no imput info for analysis.

3. Use Process Explorer from Sysinternals to dig deeper and see what is running.

4. Sometimes the faster remedy is bases on restore from backup after important data are saved.

Rgds

Milos

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Monday, October 28, 2013 3:56 PM
    Saturday, October 19, 2013 3:12 PM