none
Is BaseLining mandatory for Tracking Gantt in Project Server ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am new to Project Sever and I am feeling a bit uncomfortable with the usage of baselines. I just want a simple implementation where I will have my own custom defined Actual Task Start and Actual Task Finish to track the tasks. But is it possible to have a Tracking gantt chart using these custom fields in PWA ?

I found no OOTB options to set the dates to be looked for tracking in the gantt customization.

Please update me with this. If there is no other way, then I will go ahead with the Baselines.

Thanks,

Shanky

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:54 AM

Answers

• You might be right, I have no instance right now to test it, so I unfortunately have sometimes to recall my ancient memories and it might be wrong..

Thus I guess you will have to find a suitable workaround for you. For example, you could always save a Baseline in the Baseline "0" and in the Baseline n. Doing this, the tracking gantt will always display the latest Baseline.

• Day 1: first version of the plan, you save the Baseline 0 and 1.
    • Day 15: second version of the plan, you save the Baseline 0 and 2. Such you keep the first version of the plan and have the latest one in the tracking gantt through the Baseline 0.

The cons is that you will not be capable to create an interim plan. That being said, the PWA scheduling engine still has some limitations versus MS Project Pro, and choosing to use only PWA and not Project Pro should be a choice made on purpose and being willing to live with those few limitations.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Shanky,

I'm not sure to understand your concern. A Baseline is just a snapshot of your project plan at the time you save the Baseline. This means that it will store some information of your plan (such as start, finish dates, work, actual, cost...) so you can refer to it later as a reference/target for comparison and monitoring purpose. Those information are different than the actual start and finish dates which are meant to store the information of when the task actually started and finished. If you do not save a Baseline then you will lose the information of what is your reference or your target.

Then talking about the tracking gantt, this is just a specific view which allows you displaying the actual plan versus the baselined plan.

Finally, considering that the actual dates and Baseline dates are out of the box, you do not need to create extra custom fields for this purpose.

Please come back to us and we'll try to find a proper way to handle your concern.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 9:43 AM
  • Hello Guillaume Rouyre,

The requirement in my case is that the engineers are allowed to enter tasks at a later point of stage in the project lifecycle.

ie., Say the Engineer creates 2 tasks with    

T1 & T2   :   Start: 1/2/2015      and   Finish 28/2/2015

Now the manger saves the "Baseline"

Now say the engineer updates these tasks with actuals as     

T1 & T2  :  Start: 5/2/205        and            Finish: 5/3/2015

Now the manager can see the Tracking gantt, the difference between the planned and actuals on the gantt chart.

But say, at this point of time the engineer adds 2 more tasks with say date    

T3 & T4 : Start: 5/3/2015    and Finish: 30/3/2015.

Now these 2 tasks are not saved in "Baseline", hence the manager wont be able to track these tasks on the gantt chart. For this the manager has to set another baseline, "Baseline1" and if the engineer changes the dates for the last 2 tasks there after, the manager is unable to track these 2 tasks in the Tracking gantt chart, as the tracking gantt chart shows just the difference with the "Baseline" dates (But these 2 last added tasks are not a part of the Baseline, but are a part of Baseline1). Until and unless I save all the tasks into a single baseline, I am unable to view all the tasks on the tracking gantt chart in Tracking View.

When I checked in the forums, I saw something about Interim Plan, where the manager can save temporarily these baselines and then combine it. But to my surprise I am unable to find that "Interim Plan" in Project Server 2013 PWA. 

So is there a way that, the manager must be able to track all the tasks added by the engineer at any point of time in the project lifecycle through the "Tracking gantt charts" ? 

• Edited by shankyshan Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:13 AM update
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:12 AM
  • Indeed the interim Baseline and adding selected tasks to an existing Baseline are not available in PWA, only in MS Project Pro.

What you could do is to save another Baseline (Baseline1) and to customize the tracking gantt to display also the Baseline1 (in server settings, look and feel section, gantt chart formats).

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 10:31 AM
  • Hello,

But the Gantt chart format doesn't provide option to add BaseLine1 or other Baselines.

The only available option is Baseline :-(

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:16 AM
  • You might be right, I have no instance right now to test it, so I unfortunately have sometimes to recall my ancient memories and it might be wrong..

Thus I guess you will have to find a suitable workaround for you. For example, you could always save a Baseline in the Baseline "0" and in the Baseline n. Doing this, the tracking gantt will always display the latest Baseline.

• Day 1: first version of the plan, you save the Baseline 0 and 1.
    • Day 15: second version of the plan, you save the Baseline 0 and 2. Such you keep the first version of the plan and have the latest one in the tracking gantt through the Baseline 0.

The cons is that you will not be capable to create an interim plan. That being said, the PWA scheduling engine still has some limitations versus MS Project Pro, and choosing to use only PWA and not Project Pro should be a choice made on purpose and being willing to live with those few limitations.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by shankyshan Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:58 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:35 AM
  • Hello Guillaume Rouyre,

Thanks for your valuable time and such helpful explainations.

As I have to use the PWA and no option to use Project Pro, I have to live with these limitations.

Thanks again,

Shanky

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 11:58 AM