none
Windows Remote Management

Question

• Our network has a W2K8R2 server and I have a particular group policy setting for enabling remote management.  In the Computer -> Policies -> Admin Templates -> Components -> WinRM -> WinRM Service I have Allow automatic configuration of listeners and basic authentication enabled and in the Wndows Remote Shell section I have Allow Remote Shell Access enabled but am not able to get the WinRM service on the Windows 10 clients to change from the manual state to automatic state and have the service start.  I have a few Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 clients and this works on them.  Is there some weird thing that MS has done to Windows 10 that inhibits group policy?  I also went as far as adding the WinRM service to the Preferences -> Control Panel -> Services with automatic startup setting but alas, nothing there either.  Is there something I have forgotten or am doing wrong?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2016 10:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have you run gpresult /r on Windows 10 to check if the group policy applied successfully?

Here is an article about troubleshooting Windows Remote Management , you could take a look for reference:
    WinRM (Windows Remote Management) Troubleshooting
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/jonjor/archive/2009/01/09/winrm-windows-remote-management-troubleshooting.aspx

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Wendy,

In my haste I failed to run the gpresult test.  The particular GPO isn't showing up in the results, either as being applied or being denied... just doesn't show up.  Since this is a computer GPO, is it necessary to move the computers from the default domain\computers object to a computer OU within the domain?

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 4:48 PM
  • > just doesn't show up.  Since this is a computer GPO, is it necessary to
    > move the computers from the default domain\computers object to a
    > computer OU within the domain?

Where is your GPO linked? The computer has to be "in scope" of this GPO...

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 5:08 PM
  • I originally had it linked to a top tier organizational unit thinking it would propagate through the secondary OU's that exist inside the top tier OU.  I removed the link to the OU and applied it directly to the domain.  After refreshing the update to the clients, I can now access the clients but only from the PDC which hosts AD.  I have the latest RSAT installed on my machine but cannot access the windows 10 clients so I'm guessing I have to find the trick with our 3rd party firewall to allow RCP through as that is the error that is generated... "RPC server isunavailable".
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:04 PM
  • > just doesn't show up.  Since this is a computer GPO, is it necessary to
    > move the computers from the default domain\computers object to a
    > computer OU within the domain?

Where is your GPO linked? The computer has to be "in scope" of this GPO...

thanks for all the help... at times it appears that a little "nudge" helps to regain focus...
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:26 AM