Spurious gateway ping fail messages from AD_OP_Master_Response - mgt pack script bug RRS feed

• Question

• In the AD_OP_Master_Response.vbs script, there are two instances of this code:

If (lDefaultGatewayPingTime > 0) Then bDefaultGatewayContactable = True

One for when the gateway is one in an array, the other when it's singular.  We've long been plagued with frequent occurrences of the subsequent message this triggers, "The default gateway x.x.x.x is not pingable".  I've duplicated the exact McActivedir.ActiveDirectory.Ping() call and failed to reproduce ANY gateway timeouts, but get that unreachable local gateway message sometimes dozens of times a day.

The ping simply returns the number of milliseconds for a ping response, and returns a "-1" if it times out.  The code indicates that we accept the gateway as bDefaultGatewayContactable=True if the return from the ping is greater than 0.  It does not consider 0 an acceptable value, though the majority of the time, a local router will return pings in a response time indicated as 0 msec.

It doesn't appear this affects actually generating the alert, but it does give misleading information, hinting that the local gateway has failed which would be rare.  

How do we most easily report this to MS for remediation?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to involve someone who is familiar with this topic to helping on this issue. There may be some delay. Appreciate your patience.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 31, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Hi KevinBG,

What alert are you getting in the console? I am not seeing too many instances of this issue being reported. The easiest/fastest that I know of, is having a repro scenario that you can expose it on demand, and open a MS Support Case. Other than that, I am unable to find other options, I remember some time ago customers were able to report issues directly (here is an article discussing the topic) but unfortunately those links are no longer valid.

Having said that, and if you are able to reproduce that, I would recommend opening a support case so the issue can follow the formal escalation paths and move forward to a resolution in a future mp release.

Hope this helps.

Jose

Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:42 PM
  • This is typical, but it may be for any of the FSMO roles.

Alert: Failed to ping or bind to the Schema Master FSMO role holder.

Source: servername

Path: servername.mydomain.loc

Last modified by: System

Last modified time: 3/11/2014 9:02:35 AM Alert description: AD Op Master Response : Failed to ping Schema Op Master 'servername.myroot.loc' (132.33.16.10).

The default gateway (10.10.3.1) is not pingable.

I expect that not too many people report it because they likely get tired of hearing from it and shut it off, or they just ignore the message that says the gateway was unreachable - as I said, it doesn't create false alerts, just false information as to the cause of an alert that was caused by a legitimate timeout event.  It's a pretty clearly visible error in the code.  I reported it here because there doesn't seem to be, as you say, a mechanism to reach MS directly with this stuff any longer, other than what you mentioned - opening a case.  I don't really care to burn my time doing so - I have such a disdain for the product, and any complaints to Microsoft about functionality pretty much fall on deaf ears, so any time spent is just a sinkhole. 

I thought I would report it here in case anyone else does care enough and are bothered by it that they can take the information and work a case with it.

Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:12 PM