[solved] Can't update to Windows 10 Pro / Disable electronic registration RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new HP PC (super nice Spectre 13 inch 2-in-1!!) that came with Microsoft Windows 10 Home.  

I also have valid VLSC MAK (not KMS) keys for our Active Directory domain / Microsoft Windows 10 Professional.

I tried inputting the VLSC key on the factory installation by changing the product key.  The error I receive is "The product key you entered didn't work.  Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. (0xc004f050)"

I checked the product key.  It's correct.

I tried again.  I receive the same error.

I called the VLSC and they told me that the installation from HP could not be upgraded.  The world's largest software company (Microsoft) can't write an operating system that permits this, and I was told that I needed to reinstall the operating system.

I downloaded the Media Creation Tool, created a Windows 10 USB installation device, and I reinstalled Windows 10.  At no point do I recall seeing an option to enter a key, to select the version of windows, or anything else that seemed relevant to my problem.

Windows 10 installed without a problem.

I almost immediately went into the Activation section of Control Panel to input my product key.  Windows was already activated.  The activation status was: "Windows is activated with a digital license"

I clicked on "Change product key" and entered my valid VLSC Windows 10 Professional key.  The error I received was: "The product key you entered didn't work.  Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. (0xc004f050)""

Dear people of the Microsoft support community, how can I get my new computer upgraded / installed with Windows 10 Professional?  I have installation media, I have a valid key, and I have depleted patience.

thank you in advance for your help, and your solidarity in suffering through illogical system design.

• Edited by jvines Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:35 PM solved
    Monday, December 11, 2017 11:16 AM

All replies

• You need to ensure current system version is Pro, then consider to install your MAK.

Yes, you have used media creation tool to create an installation media and installed clean Windows 10 successfully, that’s good, but it’s just indicates you have a healthy system, you don’t provide a winver information, look at this picture.

Try these ways:

Method 1.

Instead of using your MAK, try to the generic key: VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T to update from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.

After it was updated to Windows 10 Pro, change the product key manually to your license and it will be activated.

Method 2.

I meet with a similar case, op here resolved problem by a command line, you can also have a try.

setup.exe /auto upgrade /pkey xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/cf4ef85d-9320-45c0-bc7f-a34ac71a57f3/windows-10-enterprise-ltsb-2016-upgrade-to-1709?forum=win10itprosetup

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 3:12 AM
  • Thanks for your offer of help

Unlike with the MAK, the generic key you provided does present a window suggesting that I can start the upgrade process.  When I click start, I receive an error that states:

Unable to upgrade your edition

We can't upgrade your edition of Windows.  Try upgrading your edition of Windows again.  (0xc03f6506)

I get different messages each time I try.  Sometimes it suggests that I "click Troubleshoot below" but it does not present a button or other method to "click Troubleshoot"

The second method returns an error that setup.exe is not recognized.  Should I be running that from the installation media when I perform the initial installation?

Why is this so difficult?  This is why people don't like to use Windows. . . 

Again, thanks for your help.  I wonder how long it will take to be able to join this PC to our domain.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 10:51 AM
  • type winver in search box and check which edition of Windows you are using, it's important.
    Because only Pro and higher edition can join the domian.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 8:40 AM
  • Yes, as I said, the laptop came with Windows 10 Home and I am trying to upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro.

And yes, we know that only Pro can join the domain.  That's why we're upgrading.

Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:34 PM
  • so, method 2, run from the installation media using the generic key, solved the problem.

thanks for your help

Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:35 PM
  • Glad to hear that issue has been solved, you are welcome, I am happy to assist you.

Please mark the helpful reply to close this case, this way can help other users who has the same issue to find out the useful information, thanks for understanding and cooperating.

Friday, December 15, 2017 1:34 AM
  • Had this problem now with a new laptop. Windows 10 SL installed and could even go through a full format to fix. Tried using the default upgrade key and that wouldn't work either, ended up using steps below:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion
    3. Change EditionID to "Windows 10 Professional" (double click EditionID, change value, click OK).
    4. Change ProductName to Windows 10 Professional.
    5. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion, change the same two values as in steps 3 and 4 above
    6. Close the Registry Editor
    7. Go to windows update and set key to VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    8. Now it will runthrough the upgrade and add features during reboot.
    9. Insert your Win10Pro key once the machine has restarted and Bob's your uncle...

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:01 AM
  • It fails with: "'setup.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file."
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:30 AM
  • What fails? When?  My crystal ball is not working too well today.

Bill

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 4:50 AM
  • >Had this problem now with a new laptop. Windows 10 SL installed and could even go through a full format to fix. Tried using the default upgrade key and that wouldn't work either, ended up using steps below:

1. Open Regedit
    2. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion 
    3. Change EditionID to "Windows 10 Professional" (double click EditionID, change value, click OK). 
    4. Change ProductName to Windows 10 Professional.
    5. Browse to key HKEY_Local Machine > Software > Wow6432Node > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion, change the same two values as in steps 3 and 4 above 
    6. Close the Registry Editor
    7. Go to windows update and set key to VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    8. Now it will runthrough the upgrade and add features during reboot.
    9. Insert your Win10Pro key once the machine has restarted and Bob's your uncle...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This appears to have worked for me, but instead of using the generic key, which it dismissed as invalid, I used my win 10 pro key, and it upgraded me to win 10 pro. This was done without having to do a fresh install. I understand some may think this is too much to have to do, but honestly, this saved me way more time than I would have spent re-installing everything. Cheers!

• Edited by BigMike904 Monday, April 2, 2018 3:55 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2018 3:53 PM
  • I jumped thru all the hoops in that step-by-step. Used the generic upgrade key and STILL got the error: "Can't upgrade your edition of Windows."   Tried it again except I used my Win 10 Pro key and I still got the error: "The product key you entered didn't work.  Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. (0xc004f050)"

Is there no other way to upgrade Windows without having to re-install from scratch? I don't wanna have to buy another license from Microsoft as Windows activation is suggesting I do.

• Proposed as answer by AKlein-DE Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:50 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by AKlein-DE Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:50 PM
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 2:51 AM
  • Go to windows update and set key to VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T. Then before click "Start" turn internet off.

• Proposed as answer by ElHoxo Friday, April 20, 2018 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:50 PM
  • Go to windows update and set key to VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T. Then before click "Start" turn internet off.

This is what finally made it work for me. Just signed up to say thank you for this.

Laptop started upgrading, restarted, and after that i just entered my Windows 10 Pro OEM key for activation which just worked without errors.

Man that was tedious to find, every website/forum just assumed no error message after the generic key.

Really appreciate this @userarain

Friday, April 20, 2018 3:53 PM
  • thanks you so much,

I just purchased a laptop on Friday. I spent quite a few following Windows upgrade standard instructions. The Windows updates are tremendously too long. Finally I found Method 1, and it worked for me.

well appreciated....

Monday, April 23, 2018 5:11 AM
  • @Jonathan Mark Bucke

Thank you this was driving me NUTS.  No other suggestion worked.

However, on step 7, it wouldn't take the generic key.  I used my MSDN key for Windows 10 Pro and it upgraded right there.

Thanks again!

Friday, May 18, 2018 11:37 PM
  • Thank you!

I just disabled my network adapter and inserted the windows 10 pro key as I was inserting before. Windows accepted the key and upgraded to Pro after a restart.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 6:15 AM
  • @ Rahat Jafri, thank you.

I want to scream. How freaking ridiculous is it that this is the only working solution. Are we living in bloody 2018?

Disable yout internet connection and upgrade with the VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T code. After reboot in windows 10 pro, change your license key with your own and you are golden.

• Edited by pieusdiusd Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:17 PM
  • Sorry for repost... thumbs up for that post, that just allowed me to upgrade my Surface Pro 6!
    Thursday, December 20, 2018 5:49 PM
  • I hope you found a solution. I have the same problem and the same product key by the way ... strange!

I have a 64bit installed as a 32bit (stupid IT guy) and want to reinstall now as a 64bit but it is not willing. Done all the steps ..

If you found a solution please let me know! Txs

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:50 PM