Hiding ide (/dev/hda) on RHEL58 with IC 3,4 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

Is it possible to hide the IDE drives within a RHEL5 guest (machine only has a single 'ide' bootable drive in properties but the IC are installed and mapping it as a scsi (/dev/sda) in addition to the legacy ide (/dev/hda) one used when I created the template.

Guest kernel is the latest 2.6.18-308.20

it works fine, but I'd like to prevent user support issues as to why there are 2 drives present...

Many thanks

Andrew

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:59 PM

All replies

• Technically it's not of an issue, you're save :-)

It also happens also in machines that use in-kernel Hyper-V integrations up to some level because first ATA, then HV takes over handling the IDE drives. On newer kernels the Kernel will realize it's on Hyper-V and defer ata_piix in preference for the Hyper-V driver.

I guess but since LIS 3.4 only add the Hyper-V modules and don't modify the RH kernel themselves, they can't prevent the kernel from loading ata_piix, thus you see ata drives twice. But they'll be handlet by Hyper-V's driver which is also quicker.

Once RH releases RHEL 5.9 the Hyper-V modules will be integrated - and maybe the issue will be gone, but don't know how deeply RedHat will modify their kernel on this already old distribution branch - their 2.6.18 already is heavily patched.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:58 AM