Windows 7 RC Ultimate 64 Locking up RRS feed

• Question

• I doubt I'm the only one having this problem, but with Windows XP and Vista, if any program stopped responding, it was very easy to hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and end the process immediately. I'm not sure what they did with 7, but 2 times a program has stopped responding and it caused me to have to reboot the entire computer. I havent had that problem since Windows 98. Task manager wouldn't even show up, and a little window came up on the top right hand corner of the screen that said "Program has stopped responding" with an End Process button. I'm guessing that window was some kind of joke because it did absolutely nothing. Then earlier today I opened up my laptop and clicked Internet Explorer, the icon lit up, and nothing happened. So I clicked it again, same thing. So I hit CTRL+SHIFT+ESC, nothing. So I opened another window, computer froze. I've had this computer for well over a year and not once have I ever had to restart for any reason other than installing a program or something routine like that. I'm not sure what they did with 7 but it's not working. Other than that, I love the layout and it has a plethra of nice features.. Anyone else having this problem??
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 9:43 AM

Answers

• I got thinking about this again after you metioned a bug issue with a driver and it brought to mind something. I had noticed an issue with a driver. My desktop I built using an Biostar motherboard with a Nvidia northbridge, an AMD Athlon64 4000+, added an MSI Radeon HD4830. When I run WindowsXP Pro the processor clocks 2.4Ghz. The same program showning the clock on the CPU with WinXp shows a variance from as low as 1Ghz up to the 2.4Ghz and thats just the known changes. I was running the program and seen those changes but when the lock up everything stopped and I couldn't tell if it went lower than 1Ghz. The Athlon64 runs at 200Mhz with a 12x multiplier but when I was running Win7 RC (hadn't run Win7 Beta on this system) the multiplier actually did the changing on its own. All this and your mentioning the driver bug leads me to believe that it's the win7 driver for that particular AMD processor. I unfortunately erased the win7 beta copy, when win7 rc was released, or I'd try that version now that the system can run properly. I had to put in as video card due to the onboard graphics card not working properly with drivers newer than version 8.4.4.0 which I can't remember the date on top of my head.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:56 AM

All replies

• People who report freezing behavior in Windows usually have a driver problem of some kind. Application errors in Windows are handled more gracefully than that. You need to find a better driver for some device, probably the Video or chipset drivers.
    Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Monday, May 25, 2009 5:42 PM
  • I've checked all my drivers that I could using the device manager and am still having the same issue as P2000camaro. The only way I've seemed to solve the problem atleast temporarly is to use Windows7 RC (downloaded from MS) in Safe Mode with networking. I could be doing nothing and have the system lock up on me. The only thing I can tell that isn't working in safe mode is my audio. not sure if thats because windows7 thinks I don't need it or that that hardware is the problem but I've tried updating the drivers for it and am told that the best drivers for my device is installed.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 11:33 PM
  • Mark,

I don't think it is that simple. I run Vista Ultimate on a newish system - Giga-byte 780FX Mobo Phenom 955, 4 GB PC10660, Nvidia GT9800. This also ran both 32 and 64 bit Beta versions of Win 7 smoothly.

The RC has been totally opposite with frequent freezes rendering the system useless for any evaluation process. and requiring a reboot All the drivers in the system were the latest and greatest and BIOS is totally up to date. Something broke from the Beta, and a trawl through other threads in all the various sub-forums shows I am not alone in suffering this issue.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:14 AM
  • I agree. I think there may be a driver issue, but bug related. There is a known bug that will do something like this in Vista. If you made a restore point, you may want to try this fix.

Network connectivity fails when you try to use Windows Vista behind a firewall device.url: 

Rating posts helps other users
    Mark L. Ferguson MS-MVP
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:51 PM
  • I got thinking about this again after you metioned a bug issue with a driver and it brought to mind something. I had noticed an issue with a driver. My desktop I built using an Biostar motherboard with a Nvidia northbridge, an AMD Athlon64 4000+, added an MSI Radeon HD4830. When I run WindowsXP Pro the processor clocks 2.4Ghz. The same program showning the clock on the CPU with WinXp shows a variance from as low as 1Ghz up to the 2.4Ghz and thats just the known changes. I was running the program and seen those changes but when the lock up everything stopped and I couldn't tell if it went lower than 1Ghz. The Athlon64 runs at 200Mhz with a 12x multiplier but when I was running Win7 RC (hadn't run Win7 Beta on this system) the multiplier actually did the changing on its own. All this and your mentioning the driver bug leads me to believe that it's the win7 driver for that particular AMD processor. I unfortunately erased the win7 beta copy, when win7 rc was released, or I'd try that version now that the system can run properly. I had to put in as video card due to the onboard graphics card not working properly with drivers newer than version 8.4.4.0 which I can't remember the date on top of my head.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Okay I have a new type of freeze, I have had Windows 7 RC 64bit now for 2 weeks, no problems other then Java not wanting to work right, and a couple of crashes. But right now as I am trying to type this I am having a Major problem..  All Of my USB's crashed at the exact same time. and right now I have everything unpluged from usb and it is just dinging every 5 seconds saying a new device has been plugged in or unplugged.. and it's popping up saying its trying to reconize device. Again I have NOTHIN plugged in, but it wont read anything. And i was changing anything I was playing World of warcraft for the past 3 hours, and all of a sudden in the middle of playing my mouse stopped and then that when it started trying to reinstall it and my Extrenal drive.   Any help would be great please.
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:58 AM
  • bluetonight,

I'd had the same thing happen to a friend's computer years ago under Windows XP, and we were able to solve it by uninstalling each of the USB drivers from the Device Manager one-by-one, after which Windows automatically re-added them and the behavior stopped. I'm not sure if this will work under Windows 7, but it's worth a shot.
    -Alex
    Friday, May 29, 2009 2:49 PM