none
Windows 10 Sysprep Issue: Image always hangs at "Getting ready"

Question

• After a full week of research of umpteen attempts to resolve this myself I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the court... can anyone help me get my windows 10 image working?

Situation: I have been tasked with preparing a rollout of windows 10 for new machines in my environment.  I wish to create an image for this purpose as I have with windows 7.  My hardware are HP Probook 640 G3's, the OS Version is Windows 10 Pro 1607.1. My Image software is Macrium

The Issue: I just can't get the image to sysprep and then boot up after the sysprep.  Initially I had the same issues a lot of folks had not being able to sysprep OEM windows 10 etc...  I purchased the referenced version above and started from scratch following the instructions here(https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2113-system-image-create-hardware-independent-system-image.html) And after a couple false starts I finally got it to Sysprep, though the sysprep process takes almost an hour (it hangs on the Processing generalize phase SySprep Plugins... Step for 30 to 50 minutes before finally shutting down.

Once shutdown I fire it up and it take a minute to get through "loading files" then hits "getting ready" and just hangs.  the longest I've left it has been a couple hours but i haven't seen it let me get to the windows desktop (or even log in screen) after 'completing' the sysprep.

That is the issue I need to resolve so when i go into what I've tried below understand that everything has had the exact same result as above in just about any combination I can think of.

Image build: I want to explain how I built my reference image in case there is something in that that is causing issues.

• Fresh install of Windows 10 1607.1
    • Load into reference account during setup
    • Install software - Office suite, Chrome, Firefox, Forticlient, Adobe DC, Greenshot, Ccleaner, Desktop Restore, BG Info
    • Custom Icons/desktop shortcuts added
    • Custom background added
    • Ran Windows Updates
    • Installed all computer hardware drivers
    • Windows 10 security lockdown (Consists of several GPO edits, Reg edits, and the usage ofDONotSpy10 to lock down the ridiculously intrusive and webconnected bits of windows 10 and cloud touching programs, I'll list my changes below)
    • Rebooted to create a reference image prior to sysprep (this was so i didn't have to keep recreating my image and has bee the starting point for all attempts since)

Windows Security Lockdown: below are the regedits and gpo edits I performed:

*Remove/disable ondrive taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall rd "%UserProfile%\OneDrive" /Q /S rd "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\OneDrive" /Q /S rd "%ProgramData%\Microsoft OneDrive" /Q /S rd "C:\OneDriveTemp" /Q /S REG Delete "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f REG Delete "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f *remove Windows defener contextual menu option regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\shellext.dll"

*lockdown Adobe DC [HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\DC\FeatureLockDown\cServices] "bToggleAdobeDocumentServices"=dword:00000001 "bToggleWebConnectors"=dword:00000001 "bDisableSharePointFeatures"=dword:00000001

* Resolve Administrator accoun not being able to run programs  [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] "MSAOptional"=dword:00000001 "FilterAdministratorToken"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowSignInOptions] "value"=dword:00000000 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\Settings\AllowYourAccount] "value"=dword:00000000

*Adobe DC Contextual menu removal
    [-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{0E270DAA-1BE6-48F2-AC49-8B7440BCAABB}]

Computer Configuration:

Administrative Templates > System > Logon

"Turn on PIN sign-in". Tick Disabled

"Turn off picture password sign-in". Tick Enabled

"Always Use Classic Logon". Tick Enabled

Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Runtime

"Allow Microsoft Accounts to be optional". Tick Enabled

Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Sync your Settings

"Do Not Sync". Tick Enabled

Windows Settings > Security Settings  > Local Policy > Security Options

"Accounts: Block Microsoft Accounts Settings". Tick Users Can’t add or log on with Microsoft Accounts

"Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account". Tick Enabled

User Configuration:    

Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar

"Clear History of tile notification on Logon". Tick Enabled

"Add logoff to the start menu". Tick Enabled

Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Notifications

"Turn of Notifications network usage". Tick Enabled

"Turn of Tile Notifications". Tick Enabled

`

Trouble Shooting I have tried: As best as i can remember I will run through the things i have already tried

• Adjusting my Unattend file - I have gone with the basic one from The instructions I listed above, I have tried a more complex one generated fro here: http://windowsafg.no-ip.org/ I Have NOT generated my own as yet because neither complex nor simple have yielded different results.
      • Added the following entry to my unattend file because I found instructions that the issue might have to do with uninstalling drivers during sysprep:  

<settings pass="generalize">

<component name="microsoft-windows-pnpsysprep " processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<PersistAllDeviceInstalls>True</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>

</component>

• Examined my Panther folder for errors and the contents of setuperr.txt prior to it shutting down is as follows: 
        2017-02-22 16:18:36, Error                 SYSPRP setupdigetclassdevs failed with error 0
        The final line in my setupact.txt for the same point is consistently: 
        2017-02-22 16:18:55, Info       [0x0f0080] SYSPRP ActionPlatform::LaunchModule: Found 'ProvPackageSysprepGeneralize' in C:\Windows\System32\ProvSysprep.dll; executing it
      • I have used the following commands to try and remove all apps as apps were pointed to as a potential issue (I've done with with multiple reboots, with no reboot, with a single run of both, with multiple runs):
        Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –notlike “*store*”} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage –online

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name –notlike “*store*”} | Remove-AppxPackage
    • I have followed the below steps with no change:

I was getting the same error but was able to track it back to a service called "tiledatamodelsvc".  This service seems to be locking onto the "StateRepository"... files in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository".  If you stop the service before running sysprep, sysprep is able to run. 

I know there have been other little tweaks I've tried Like attempting to resolve it with Legacy vs. UEFI boot option but as i said it's been a full week of banging my head on this so I'm fully open to suggestions at this point.

• Edited by John Poniske Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:44 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:18 PM

Answers

• I appreciate the response, I've already almost got it all sorted out at this point.

By systematically iterating my image, taking a snap shot after each change, and then sysprepping i was hoping to isolate the piece that was causing the issue, then reloading the snapshot and adding the next piece of my build And I think I have it narrowed down but don't want to mark it solved until i complete 2 more iterations to be sure.

I started with a base install to a reference account... just Windows 10 1607 (I did not enter a license or register the install) and my 'complex' Unattend file.  That sysprepped very quickly and loaded in to windows 10 normally afterward. - Conclusion:  It's not my unattend file and I don't have to do anything drastic to windows to get sysprep to work, it has to be something i'm adding.

The second, third, and fourth iterations were additions of all my software in groups, all resulted in the same successful result as the first test. Conclusion: Definitely not any of my added application software.

Iteration 5 however I ran into my first issue: What i changed was all of my windows 10/ cloud lock down were added.  That replicated my original issue - slow sysprep, endless "getting ready on reboot"  Conclusion: something in that process is causing at least part of the issue.

For iteration 6 I reloaded Snapshot 4 and rather than doing the lock down process i ran updates and drivers this time. Sysprep successful as with the earlier success Conclusion: Updates and drivers were not causing the issue. 

After a further 4 iterations more granularity checking teh Windows lockdown additions on top of the rest of the image I determined that the issue was with uninstallation of OneDrive and Some of the DONOTSPY10 settings. Conclusion: DO NOT uninstall onedrive or use DONOTSPY10 prior to sysprepping windows 10 (you can install the program just don't have it modify anything.) as it will prevent Windows from booting properly after sysprepping.

• Edited by John Poniske Friday, February 24, 2017 6:46 PM solution found
    • Marked as answer by John Poniske Friday, February 24, 2017 6:46 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

I have searched online. The below is a similar case that I can found. Hope it will be helpful.
    Try this:
    On the reference computer, open an administrative command prompt 
    1.  Type the following command to set the startup type:
                  sc config dmwappushservice start= delayed-auto
    2.  Type the following command to start the service:
                   sc start dmwappushservice

Windows 10 64-bit (1511 build) sysprep and deployment process takes way too long
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/eea704bd-40a5-40c7-93ba-7a770ef9ee61/windows-10-64bit-1511-build-sysprep-and-deployment-process-takes-way-too-long?forum=win10itprosetup

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 8:19 AM
  • I appreciate the response, I've already almost got it all sorted out at this point.

By systematically iterating my image, taking a snap shot after each change, and then sysprepping i was hoping to isolate the piece that was causing the issue, then reloading the snapshot and adding the next piece of my build And I think I have it narrowed down but don't want to mark it solved until i complete 2 more iterations to be sure.

I started with a base install to a reference account... just Windows 10 1607 (I did not enter a license or register the install) and my 'complex' Unattend file.  That sysprepped very quickly and loaded in to windows 10 normally afterward. - Conclusion:  It's not my unattend file and I don't have to do anything drastic to windows to get sysprep to work, it has to be something i'm adding.

The second, third, and fourth iterations were additions of all my software in groups, all resulted in the same successful result as the first test. Conclusion: Definitely not any of my added application software.

Iteration 5 however I ran into my first issue: What i changed was all of my windows 10/ cloud lock down were added.  That replicated my original issue - slow sysprep, endless "getting ready on reboot"  Conclusion: something in that process is causing at least part of the issue.

For iteration 6 I reloaded Snapshot 4 and rather than doing the lock down process i ran updates and drivers this time. Sysprep successful as with the earlier success Conclusion: Updates and drivers were not causing the issue. 

After a further 4 iterations more granularity checking teh Windows lockdown additions on top of the rest of the image I determined that the issue was with uninstallation of OneDrive and Some of the DONOTSPY10 settings. Conclusion: DO NOT uninstall onedrive or use DONOTSPY10 prior to sysprepping windows 10 (you can install the program just don't have it modify anything.) as it will prevent Windows from booting properly after sysprepping.

• Edited by John Poniske Friday, February 24, 2017 6:46 PM solution found
    • Marked as answer by John Poniske Friday, February 24, 2017 6:46 PM
    Friday, February 24, 2017 2:20 PM
  • Not true, removing OD only does not prevent sysprep to work (either way)But messing with services will (like in do NOT remove dmwappushservice

Seb

Monday, June 11, 2018 12:10 PM
  • One-drive is present, but only really "installs" on a per-user basis. What I did was to remove the trigger which is located in the default ntuser.dat, mount it, edit it to remove the "runonce" key, unmounts. All new accounts, including the administrator account used during sysprep and any post-sysprep accounts will also then not install the per-user component of onedrive.
    Monday, October 8, 2018 12:52 PM