Laptop Starts up in sleep mode? RRS feed

• Question

• i purchased a 2nd hand laptop recently and when it arrived i booted it up to check it out but, i plugged in the cable and turned it on, the fans started and lights came on but the screen was blank there appears to be a light on the laptop that is next to the sleep symbol, so i assume that the Laptop wakes up in sleep mode for some reason, i found a temporary solution by taking out the battery and putting it back in, that seems to resolve it.  the laptop is an MSI CX705MX, i was told the battery holds a charge but every time the cable is unplugged the laptop seems to go back into sleep mode, as it appears to still be running but the screen is blank.

it is running window 7 Home Premium.

the System appears to have had a fresh install 

Any help or ideas would really help thanks

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:14 PM

Answers

• And, I repeat "THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE FORUM!"

This is a Windows 7 operating system forum.

You will have to either take your system to a computer repair shop or work with MSI technical support to sort your problems out. 

This Windows 7 operating system forum is not intended to solve any hardware problems. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:55 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately you have a hardware problem.  It could be a setting in the system BIOS, but you must get the hardware pr4oblem fixed by either a professional hardware technician or consult directly with MSI technical support.

You would come back to this forum to discuss issues with the Windows 7 operating system after you get your system to boot up correctly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, January 12, 2016 6:59 PM
  • but is it possible to tell what hardware is the problem or what BIOS setting is the problem? i went into the Bios and looked at the power management but there was nothing that seemed to be wrong, but i read that it could be a setting in the bios to do with the display but there seemed to be no option in the bios for display, if you have any links to where i could get further help that would be great.

I'm wondering if a fresh install would help at all? if it were to reset any settings that could have been changed when it had been installed before.

• Edited by AidanR084 Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:22 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 6:21 PM
  • You will have to obtain the information you seek from MSI documentation for your system or from MSI technical support.  Each manufacturer customizes their systems to their specifications and this is a Windows 7 operating system forum for specific discussions about the Windows 7 operating system.  Hardware forums can be found on most manufacturer's websites.

Using Google to search for MSI CX705MX the following were the 1st 2 links:

MSI Global 

Support For CX705MX

Google Is Your Friend!!

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 9:17 PM
  • I found out through the user manual that its nothing to do with sleep mode, the sleep light is blinking when in sleep mode and the machine is awake when its a solid blue glow (which it is)

I also downloaded the bios update file, incase it was that but when i try to launch the exe to install it
    i get a message saying "this version file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. check your computer systems information to see whether you need x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, then contact the software publisher."

unfortunately that is the only bios file on there, so i dont know if that could be the problem

• Edited by AidanR084 Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:23 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:15 AM
  • And, I repeat "THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE FORUM!"

This is a Windows 7 operating system forum.

You will have to either take your system to a computer repair shop or work with MSI technical support to sort your problems out. 

This Windows 7 operating system forum is not intended to solve any hardware problems. 

Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:55 AM
  • Hi,

Just as Rick said, there is a Microsoft TechNet forum, we’d prefer to discuss the topic which is related to Windows system.

About your question, please contact MSI support for assistance, they would help you to deal with hardware problem.

Beast regards,

Teemo Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:38 AM